Study Abroad: To Go, or Not To Go?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

This week, Brown University hosted an International Programs fair on Ruth Simmons Quad, featuring some of the sexiest study abroad possibilities for the 2014-2015 school term. As a senior, I have witnessed (second hand) some amazing adventures: From Paris to Barcelona to Florence to Amman, many of my friends have enjoyed a semester off from the rigor of the regular school year. Everyone has different notions of what Study Abroad will be like, and different hopes and dreams for their time spent in another country: To achieve cultural immersion, to learn a new language, to party every night, etc…

I was planning to spend a semester abroad in Lyon, France, perfecting my French, eating baguettes, and going on dates with Frenchmen. I was going to drink espresso, wear berets, and shop in all of the boutiques. At the last minute, I decided to remain at Brown. I had my reasons (…predominate among them being a boy), but I also have a good sense of what the application process looks like. In the end, my relationship aside, I was happy to spend another four glorious months in Providence. It took courage to stay, in some paradoxical way. That being said, I know what the anticipation and the build up can feel like for an abroad experience: In just a few more months, we’ll be out of here and on our own, exploring a whole new world!

I never went abroad, but I ended up having my own amazing adventure at home. I declared a second concentration, earned honors for my major, and garnered a publishing internship. I’m glad to have stayed where I stayed, but I’ll always wonder: What if?

What if I had travelled to Barcelona, and learned Catalan?  What if I had lived in Lyon and drank wine? What if I had ventured into Cuba or Israel, or went swimming on the sandy beaches of Australia?

It’s a tough choice, Brunonians, but here’s the truth of it: No matter what you do, you will be happy. Think of it this way. You are stuck choosing between two incredible possibilities. We are lucky enough to attend a school that gives us the opportunity to travel the world. We are also lucky enough to be exactly where we are. Don’t look at it like a binary: To Go, or not to Go? Rather, think of it as: To Adventure at Home, or to Adventure Afar?

For more information, check out the Office of International Programs on the 5th floor of J. Walter Wilson. Whatever you decide, this adventure lies in the present moment—don’t let it go to waste.