Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Spending Valentine’s Day Away From Your Boo? We’ve Got You!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Valentine’s Day is one of the hardest holidays to go through while in a long-distance relationship—all you want to do is snuggle up with your partner, but they’re miles away. Here are a few ideas to show your partner you love and care about them from far away: 

Have a virtual dinner or cooking date

Doordash or UberEats one of your favorite romantic meals simultaneously with your partner and eat together over Facetime! If possible, cook and eat the same meal together over Facetime. This is a fun way to replicate the traditional Valentine’s Day in an LDR! Over dinner, you can share your favorite memories and reminisce about your romance!

Ship them a sweet surprise or care package

Tons of super cute gift ideas translate well to a fun surprise present! My favorite is getting a heart-shaped lego set that you can customize with any picture you want! Other great ideas are customized song plaques where you can pick a song and cover image that may be significant to you and your partner or a custom print of where you had your first date! If these ideas aren’t in your budget range, you could always ship a care package with some of their favorite treats and a handmade card!

Surprise them with flowers or treats

Another fun idea is to call a florist or bakery in their area and send them a beautiful or delicious Valentine’s day surprise! This idea may take a bit more advanced planning and coordination, but it’s still a good way to surprise them and make sure they know you’re thinking about them.

Send them a love letter

I love the idea of sending your partner a love letter as a low-budget but touching Valentine’s Day gift. Plan a few days to write and mail them a note—maybe on some pink or red stationary. Make sure it’s postmarked, so they’ll receive it by Valentine’s Day! 

Watch a movie together virtually

Another great idea is to make some popcorn, get cozy, and watch a movie together on Netflix Party or Facetime! There are tons of great Rom-Coms to watch for Valentine’s Day, and Netflix Party is great because you can text together on the platform. 

With these fun tips and tricks, you will still have an amazing, love Valentine’s Day with your significant other! 

I am a member of the Brown Class of 2026, and I am planning to concentrate in history and economics. In my free time, I enjoy reading historical fiction novels, baking chocolate chip cookies, and trying new restaurants and cafes in Providence.