This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

With midterms, Hurricane Sandy and Halloween behind us, it’s time to think about the events of November, namely SexPowerGod. As a tradition and legend of Brown University, SexPowerGod (SPG) is an annual party thrown by the Brown LGBTQ group in Alumnae Hall, drawing a lively crowd from both Brown and RISD. It gained notoriety through its unique use of multimedia with partiers being provided identifying numbers upon entry – they were once temporary tattoos to be applied on the body – and large projector screens publicly relaying messages by number; typically flattering comments and sexual propositions.

In 2005, the party was featured on Bill O’Reilley’s nationally televised show ‘The O’Reilly Factor’ on Fox News. Jesse Watters gained access to the party and (creepily) shot footage of attendees. He appears on the show to condemn and elaborate on the “debauchery” that he witnessed. The Brown student community met the broadcast with general outrage, while university administration saw to the tightening of rules and consequent taming of SPG.

For those of you who have attended, you know the drill. For those of you who camped out for the first time and got tickets, here’s a rundown of what to expect:

The premise of SPG is to provide a safe and controlled environment for people to dance, have fun, and explore their sexuality. There are definitely things you will see that cannot be unseen. That being said, it doesn’t mean that participating in SPG is equivalent to engaging in wild or experimental sexual acts, though you may if you so choose. Some people use it as an opportunity for a second Halloween, with just as much effort going in to their fun, crazy costumes or lingerie, others go and simply make out on the dance floor, while others go much further – all are okay! Dress ranges from the mundane to the eccentric to the nonexistent – go in your normal party clothes, go in a creative and elaborate getup, or go naked, but make sure you have something warm for the slow line to the door.

If you’ve been before, you also know that a big part of the ‘SPG experience’ is camping out for tickets the two weeks prior in Alumnae Hall – people bring food, play music, watch movies, attempt to work, and have a good time. If you’re feeling curious about SPG and have never gone, go ahead and try it out! It has, for better or worse, become an integral part of the Brown experience, a majority of attendees being curious freshmen and ‘last-chance-to-go!’ seniors, and even though it doesn’t jive with all members of the Brown community, it’s worth giving a go to see what you could be missing!