Red vs. Blue: The Women of the Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

With the elections around the corner, we are finally coming to an end of the spectacle of the elections—it’s time for decisions! This means that the Mobama-Ann Romney style showdown is coming to a close, and so a fashion recap is in order.

Michelle Obama knows the drill now, she’s been on our style-radar for four years now, and she still kills it every time in her fashion-forward elegance. She favors emerging American designers, dubbed a ‘career-launcher’ for designers, namely Jason Wu.

Ann Romney is new to the scene, but as we’ve seen, she’s no amateur either. Her favorite (for now) is the boston-based designer Alfred Fiandaca, who’s revealed that Ann takes style advice from her husband (he likes her to “wear red and pink, to have a defined waist and to show her figure because he’s very proud of her.”) We hope that with time, Ann can explore more designers, and develop her own personal style (not just for Mitt!) because as Mobama has shown us—it’s more than being a people pleaser, it’s about being bold, confident and creative.

Now let’s see go through some key moments from the campaign:

1. Democratic National Convention:

Michelle donned a Tracy Reese dress and a pair of J. Crew Everly suede pumps in ‘rhubarb’.

On the next day at the DNC, Michelle wore a graphic lime and mink printed  ‘Porsha’dress from the 2012 Resort collection by Diane Von Furstenberg.

Republican National Convention:

For the RNC, Ann sported a vivid red Oscar de la Renta dress, with to-the-elbow sleeves, a waist cinching belt with a floral embellishment, with gold jewelry, and black peep-toe heels.

On the next day of the RNC, Ann sported one of our favorite looks: a casual pale turquoise linen jacket over khaki straight leg slacks, which she embellished with a large turquoise necklace.

2. The First Debate:

The first lady wore a bright blue dress and cropped jacket from the fall 2011 collection of Preen, which was inspired by the Northern California Arts and Crafts movement. She chose to re-wear this outfit for the third time, and she still looked fabulous.

Ann instead wore a custom-fitted cream skirt suit by her favorite, Alfred Fianduca. The suit’s vertical seam emphasized her waist, and the slightly open neckline helped highlight her signature pearls.

3. The Second Debate

This night saw a huge turnaround– in terms of the debate itself, and in the sartorial choices of the ladies, who decided to match.

Michelle wore a neon pink boucle suit by Michael Kors with some classic pearls. 

Ann wore  a short-sleeve dress by Oscar de la Renta in a  shade of Pepto pink. This was the boldest look that Ann has ever shown us, which she emphasized with a turquoise statement necklace. Also to be noted: her lavender blue nails. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/17/ann-romney-blue-nails-photo_n_1973805.html?utm_hp_ref=ann-romney-style)

4. Third debate

On the final debate night, Michelle sported the Thom Browne dress she wore on the second night of the DNC, and this time, highlighted it witha brooch and a black belt. Once again the first lady decided to wear an American designer.

Mrs. Romney wore a green-to-white ombre piece with a floral skirt by Oscar de la Renta, with nude pumps. This look is definitely a departure for Ann– she decided to wear a bold deep-green color which she accented with an eclectic necklace and a belt.

5. Casual

Even when the ladies aren’t dressed up to be scrutinized on national TV, the ladies definitely have shown us their style. Here, the first lady was photographed at Panama City Beach, Florida (hey who’s that guy behind her?) She chose to wear the Dreamer Dip-Dye Cami in Chrome Blue from Banana Republic, paired with cropped black pants and Maison Martin Margiela toe-loop sandals.

Here, Mrs. Romney was spotted with her husband and son, cheering for her grandson at his soccer game, in a comfortable and casual look in jeans and a button-up shirt. She finished her look with an orange belt which popped against her all-blue outfit, and some comfortable black flats.

So… who will it be?

Mobama or Ann?