This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

On February 13th, Brown University freshman Haley Joyce recorded the first episode of her podcast, UNFILTERED. It wasn’t until she returned home from school that she decided to post the recording for an audience to hear. Since then, Haley has released a total of 6 episodes and will continue to release episodes every Friday. In the following interview, I asked Haley some questions about her experience with the podcast as well as its purpose and her inspiration for creating it.

Note: Some responses have been edited for clarity. 

When did you decide you wanted to start a podcast? How long had you been considering it before actually starting?

I decided to start my podcast sometime in February of this year. I remember the day clearly: I was going on a run between classes and it was a beautiful, sunny day. I decided to listen to a new episode of my favorite Youtuber’s podcast. I got really upset about the message it was promoting and thought, “Wow, I could do this.” After that, I waited around 2 weeks before recording the first episode.

Why did you start your podcast?

I started my podcast because, first, I really enjoy talking! However, the real reason I started it was because I felt as though I had so much to share, especially about my difficult transition coming into Freshman year. I really wanted to be vulnerable and transparent about freshman year because I felt like no one else was. In complete honesty, I also was pretty upset about the podcast I had listened to on that run and wanted to do something about it. 

What is your podcast about?

My podcast is about all things! It is primarily about things I learned going into and during my freshman year at college, but it is also about things I feel that no one ever talks about or are afraid to talk about! I say that my podcast is about all things UNFILTERED. I try to be as honest and vulnerable as possible, and I hope that comes through in my episodes. 

Below is the official description for UNFILTERED: 

In this podcast I talk about issues completely UNFILTERED, the good and the bad, I give my candid feelings. This podcast focuses on issues I have specifically encountered during my first year at college (the things no one warned me about.)  I hope this podcast can create a space that allows you to feel comfortable in your struggles, and remind you that you are not alone. 

What is the purpose of the podcast?

I hope this podcast can create a space that allows you to feel comfortable in your struggles and remind you that you are not alone. 

Where do you like to record your podcast? What is your setup like?

I record my podcast in my room, normally early in the morning or later in the evening when it is quiet. I always put my phone on my desk so that the audio is steady, and then I have my notebook next to me with my reminders. 

Who is the main demographic your podcast is trying to reach?

Pretty much like the 14-23 range, but really whoever feels as though they can relate. 

What are your goals for the podcast? 

Just that as many people as possible can find comfort in it and also see it as a safe space. I would love to motivate people and get as many followers as possible as well. 

How has COVID-19 and the quarantine affected your podcast? Do you think you are recording more with the extra free time?

Honestly, no.  Maybe. I don’t know. Since I started it when I got home, it is hard to tell. If I could, I would record all the time though haha. It will probably be harder when I get back to school, especially to find quiet spaces. But I also will be interested to see what people say. 

Do you plan on continuing the podcast when you return to Brown?

Of course! 

What do you have to say to other students who may be considering starting their own podcast?

Do it! Seriously, I find that people think it is so hard, but it is really not hard at all. I also think when you are passionate about something, that comes through.

Listen to UNFILTERED on Anchor, Breaker, Google Podcasts, Apple Podcasts, Overcast, Pocket Casts, RadioPublic or Spotify. Haley has done a great job and it’s always exciting to hear what she has to say!

Hannah is a sophomore at Brown from the D.C. area in Virginia. She is concentrating in public policy.
Nora is the Campus Correspondent for Brown University's chapter. She is a Junior from New York studying Applied Math-Economics. Her interests are writing, painting, and playing tennis.