Postcard from Asia: 8 Reasons Why Asia Should Be Next On Your Travel Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

With the pandemic finally in hindsight, 2024 is the year of travel! While the usual, popular destinations for US tourists remain hotspots, travel magazines and news outlets including CNBC and Condé Nast are projecting surging demand for trips to Asia. As someone who grew up in Asia and has spent a lot of time traveling around Asia, I know Asia has a lot to offer and has something for everyone, so here are eight reasons why you should travel to Asia this year.

1. Affordability: Traveling in Asia is historically known to be very affordable, especially in Southeast Asian countries such as Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand where cheap costs of living, attractions, and accommodations are perfect for budget travelers. Japan is also now as affordable as ever with a weak Yen.
  2. Food: Asian food tastes so much better when made locally. Asian cuisine is also extremely diverse and features its own flavors, cooking techniques, and ingredients. From hawker centers in Singapore to night markets in Bangkok and dim sum in Hong Kong, any meal is an experience. 
  3. Culture: Asia boasts an extremely diverse range of cultures, each with their own unique traditions and languages. The largest religious monument in the world is Angkor Wat in Cambodia, while Kyoto preserves Japan’s traditions with historic temples and tea ceremonies.
  4. Historical Significance: Asia’s historical significance extends beyond religion, encompassing iconic landmarks that display insights into the ancient world and the beginnings of industrialization. Examples include the Great Wall of China, the Silk Road, the Taj Mahal, and Gyeongbokgung Palace.
  5. The Cities: Cities in Asia are some of the most population-dense yet culturally rich cities in the world that also serve as international finance hubs, offer world-class shopping, and endless attractions to explore. CNBC reports that the top five travel hot spots for Americans are Hong Kong, Shanghai, Taipei, Tokyo, and Osaka.
  6. Nature: If you’re looking to escape the hustle and bustle of the city, Asia’s biodiversity also offers activities for any adventurous traveler to explore such as the Himalayas, Gobi Desert, Mount Fuji, and Hạ Long Bay.
  7. Geographic Diversity: If you can’t decide between a city or a nature-filled trip, Asia is also known for blending modernity with history, tradition, and nature. Take Hong Kong, for example, where you find beaches 20 minutes away from skyscrapers and temples nestled between high-rise apartments. 
  8. Resorts: Asia also boasts some of the best resorts in the world for those looking to splurge on a vacation. Amanpulo in the Philippines and all-inclusive resorts in the Maldives and Phuket are great beach destinations, while Asian-based international chains Shangri-La, Mandarin Oriental, and the Peninsula will provide the best hospitality in the world. 
Blossom is a sophomore at Brown University from Hong Kong studying Behavioral Decision Sciences and Economics. Beyond Her Campus, she is a part of Kappa Delta Sorority and Hong Kong Students Association. She enjoys going to coffee shops, traveling to new countries, going on walks, and hanging out with friends and her dog.