One for the World: A new club on campus making a huge impact

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

We, as students of Brown University, all experience privilege to some degree. It can be easy to get caught up in the stress of college life and forget to be conscientious of what is happening in the world around us. However, it is more important now than ever to maintain awareness of relevant global issues, and make an effort to help whenever possible. Roughly ten percent of the world’s population is currently living in extreme poverty. While this issue may seem too large or complex to tackle, it is much easier to join in the effort to eradicate poverty than one may think. 

Last spring, three students started a chapter of One for the World at Brown. One for the World is a national organization that promotes charitable giving to address extreme poverty. The organization encourages members to take the “1% Pledge,” which is a commitment to donate at least one percent of their income to the world’s most cost-effective charities. Though it may seem like a small amount, one percent can make a great difference. It is an easy, small sacrifice for us to make, and it can significantly improve the lives of others. 

While I wasn’t familiar with “cost-effective giving” before getting involved with One for the World, the concept is extremely relevant to the organization’s mission. Charities that are considered cost-effective are able to save or improve lives for as little money as possible. GiveWell, a top-ranked charity evaluator, conducts cost-effectiveness analyses for One for the World, creating a charity portfolio for the organization to ensure that all donations go directly to causes that have proven to be the most productive in addressing critical human needs. 

I’ve made charitable efforts in the past, but my donations have always been limited to select causes; with this mindset, I excluded global issues from my contributions. Joining Brown’s chapter has allowed me to learn from the values and mission of the organization and commit myself to effective giving through the 1% Pledge. Since the commitment is fairly small (just one percent), I am able to ensure that a portion of my philanthropic donations are allocated toward charities that are known to enact quick and significant change, while still having room to support the causes that I am most passionate about. 

The pledge is receptive to individual circumstances and is therefore flexible in that it allows you to adjust or pause your commitment at any time. You are also able to choose your start date for donations so that your contributions begin after you graduate. By taking the pledge, you likely will not even notice the small portion of your income that is going to effective giving, but it could be a matter of life and death for those you are helping. Based on the average starting salary for Brown graduates, those who have taken the pledge will provide 18 antimalarial treatments, 28 bednets, 266 deworming treatments, and 99 Vitamin A supplements per year, and will save an estimated five to eight lives over the course of their career.

The One for the World Pledge allows us to make a massive difference in the lives of others, at a very low cost to ourselves. I encourage everyone to learn more about One for the World and Brown’s chapter and consider taking the pledge! You can find the Brown chapter on Instagram or check out the national organization’s website. The club’s leaders are all super friendly and want to talk about One for the World, so please direct message them on Instagram, reach out to their email, or fill out this interest form if you are at all interested or want to learn more!

Hannah is a sophomore at Brown from the D.C. area in Virginia. She is concentrating in public policy.
Katharine is the Co-Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus Brown chapter. She is a Junior concentrating in Public Policy.