This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Lisa Potter of Movember is open and friendly, relatable and social. Describing the initiative, she tells me: “What we’re about is changing the face of men’s health,” specifically in relation to prostrate and testicular cancer. Movember originally started in Melbourne, Australia by a group of four close friends, who understood the importance of continuously monitoring one’s health, and who realized how lacking the field of men’s health was. Thirty men grew mustaches in 2003 to raise funds and awareness, and were immediately “peppered with questions,” Lisa tells me—Movember was here to stay. In the woman’s world, breast and ovarian cancer, among others, have a solid social backing, with strong goals and immense commitment; men’s health did not have its equivalent until Movember was set up. Chuckling, Lisa tells me that men tend to be more shy in talking about their health issues, and regular health checkups. As a result, one of the main aims of the Movember initiative is to create a forum where speaking about health issues becomes as much of a bonding experience as dealing with the actual illness. Once registered online, the men shave on the night of the 31st of October, and keep grooming and growing their mustaches through the month of November.

Even before speaking to Lisa, I was struck by the strength of the initiative’s website: it is wonderfully artistic and interactive— as much a pleasure to go through, as learning about the movement itself. The ads and promotions are sharp, catchy and witty—it is masculine without being overbearing. On asking Lisa about the importance of having such a comprehensive and aesthetically attractive website, she immediately affirms that the website is, essentially, the core of the movement. Movember is largely, and purposely, a word-of-mouth movement: the initiative does not believe in mass advertising or grand scheming and so, “campaign creation on the website is most important.” It is easy to see the reasoning behind this: If Movember was set up to be a personalized campaign of men’s health awareness, mass advertising would only make the movement associated with heavy-handed propaganda; it would not be so much about the personal choice to find out about the movement and choose to be actively involved in it. If Movember loses its personality, the campaign loses its attractiveness.
Expanding more on the importance and impact of their website, she explains that a lot of the bohemian, laid-back, street-art look originated from the typical Australian surfer/skate-board lifestyle. The informality of the movement, in essence, is what makes it so widely accepted. Currently the movement has 1.1 million Mo Bros and Mo Sistas (these names are yet another example of the movement’s easily-understandable, youthful approach) with formal campaigns in Canada, Finland, the UK, New Zealand, the US, Spain, Ireland, South Africa and, of course, Australia. In addition the movement has a strong support base that spans the globe including global heavyweights like Russia, Dubai, Mumbai and Hong Kong. The success of the initiative signifies the need of this type of forum, and the openness to contemporary understandings of health issues. For, both, men and women, health has ceased to be confined to hospitals and private practices: health is an active choice that we make on a daily basis. This is, intrinsically, what Movember propagates.

So, for the entire month of November, Mo Bros focus on growing and maintaining a mustache, hence building a strong community and immense solidarity between them. Let me clarify, this must definitely be a well-kept respectable mustache, much like the ones we greatly appreciate in period films. While the mustaches of Movember do not necessarily need to be accompanied by a top-hat or cowboy boots (you know these images were rapidly swirling around in your head), the initiative is very strict on its proper grooming and care. The reason, Lisa explains, is that, “A mustache makes somebody take notice and say ‘What is that on your face?’”—uncared for stubble and random clumps of hair do not abide by the etiquette of the movement, and a creeping transformation of the mustache into a goatee or beard is qualification for expulsion. I’m only half-joking: not abiding by the mustache is like undermining the triangular Roc-A-Fella sign; Jay Z would not be pleased.

One of the issues the movement is having, is that it is frequently associated with other awareness movements such as No Shave November, and Lisa is quick to distinguish the movement’s autonomy. On doing some research of my own, I understand the importance of having a prominent and well-kept ‘stache in supporting the movement. Unlike No Shave November, the mustache is the only hair growth allowed. Further, Movember has a monetary value: its Mo Bros and Mo Sistas raise money for the cause that are, in turn, used for three main initiatives. Movember has paired up with the Prostrate Cancer Foundation that uses the funds in order to accelerate better treatments for the illness. It is also partnered with Livestrong, another giant in the fight against cancer. Like Livestrong, Movember has a strong cultural appeal: by turning it into a statement, the cause has found strong roots in an extremely fashion-conscious culture. Through its partnership with Livestrong, Movember attempts to meet the needs of cancer survivors by advising them not only on what treatment is most suitable, but it also attempts to support them through the treatment, and well into post-treatment care.

The support, and subsequent raising of funds is substantial. In 2010, Movember reports a total of $7,528,860raised in the United States, with 64,927 registered Mo Bros and Mo Sistas. The average campaigner talks to roughly 61 people, reflecting an ever-extending coverage. Movember is also appealing to the campus generation, understanding the vitality of increasing health awareness in cultures that are specifically noted for their unhealthy lifestyles. Like most reasons for starting young, Lisa tells me that, “If a man is more pro-active about his health during college life, it is far easier to keep those healthy habits for the rest of [his] life.” Aside from regular exercise and nutritious eating patterns, being pro-active about health also includes regular checkups and an awareness of one’s body. While prostrate cancer tends to be generally an “older gentleman’s disease,” testicular cancer is the most common cancer in the male population between the ages of 15 and 35—an age group that is strongly correlated with college students. With an increase in awareness on college campuses, the awareness of men’s health, and indeed, health in general, would increase exponentially. As part of their appeal to college students, Movember encourages campuses to host their own Mo-Parties, sending over party kits based on the Movember theme.

Of all the catchy slogans of Movember, my favourite is “A coat of arms for your face.” This is in relation to one of the “gentleman’s tips” on the movement’s website: “A well maintained moustache is a symbol of a modern gentleman. Like a coat of arms for his face, a moustache instantly places the man in the International Society of Modern Gentlemen.” I believe this quote summarizes the general aura surrounding the movement: a little bro-y, a little exclusive, completely witty, and immeasurably aware of its cause and constant upward movement. I think Barney Stinson would make a great propagator of this movement. So, in his words, “Suit up.” Be a gentleman; change the world.

Haruka Aoki and Luisa Robledo instantly bonded over the love for witty writing and haute couture. Haruka, a self-professed fashionista, has interned at Oak Magazine and various public relations companies where she has reached leadership positions. Luisa, a passionate journalist and editor of the Arts and Culture section of Brown University's newspaper, has interned and Vogue and has co-designed a shoe collection for the Colombian brand Kuyban. Together, they aim to create a website that deals with the real issues that college women face, a space that can serve as a forum of communication. With the help of an internationally-minded team section editors and writers who have different backgrounds, experiences, and mentalities, these two Brown girls will establish a solid presence on-campus.