This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Kim Kardashian has officially filed for divorce from Kanye West. The two were married for nearly seven years. Although they officially tied the knot in 2014, they have been a part of each other’s lives since the early 2000s. They share four kids–North, Saint, Chicago, and Psalm. Reports have indicated that both Kim and Kanye have agreed to a joint custody arrangement with their children and are committed to peacefully co-parenting. 

Although neither Kim nor Kanye have publicly addressed their divorce, fans and friends of the family have been able to offer insight on the matter for those of us who enjoy keeping up with the Kardashians. Many believe that Kim reached her breaking point with Kayne over this past summer when he launched his presidential campaign. During an off-the-rails campaign speech in South Carolina, Kanye revealed that Kim had considered having an abortion when she was pregnant with their first child, North. In the past, Kim was very accepting of this type of public behavior from Kanye, but when he brought their children into the equation, she was not happy at all. After this infamous campaign speech, Kanye took many shots at the KarJenner family via Twitter. Shortly after both of these events, the public learned that Kanye was going through a serious bi-polar episode. Kim released a well-written statement about Kanye’s condition over the summer. She reminded her followers that Kanye’s family–herself included–was powerless unless he agreed to seek out treatment and get help. Kim went on to stress the importance of grace when dealing with mental health issues; she asked for space and privacy from the media and the public during the time. 

After Kim released this statement, the media coverage of both Kanye and Kim died down. The couple appeared to be prioritizing Kanye’s mental health, working on mending their relationship, and focusing on their four children. However, towards the end of 2020, rumors started to swirl yet again. Most news outlets were reporting that the couple had not been living together for months and that it was only a matter of time before they would make their divorce proceedings public. 

These reports were correct; Kim has officially filed for divorce from Kanye. Many Keeping Up With the Kardashians fans have speculated that Kim will use the final season of the show to give her fans insight on the divorce and reveal what truly happened between the two. Until then, we will all be patiently waiting to see if either party releases a public statement about the split. In the end, Kim and Kanye are both real people who are going through an incredibly difficult time in their personal lives. Although all the drama and speculation surrounding their divorce is exciting, it is important to keep in mind that they have a lot on their plates and have to prioritize their childrens’ well-being during this unpleasant time. Hopefully, we will get more insight on the matter in the coming months. Stay tuned!

Beatrice is a first-year, planning to concentrate in political science.
Katharine is the Co-Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus Brown chapter. She is a Junior concentrating in Public Policy.