Inspirational Women Come from Within

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

This week we are focusing on empowerment for men and women, but what does this mean really? The dictionary defines the ability to empower as:

Empower: [ trans. ] make (someone) stronger and more confident, esp. in controlling their life and claiming their rights

For women this means many things voting rights, right to choose, and equality in the working world. However, we are not just limited to these ideals. There is so much more to focus on.

I took some time to look up quotes by some of the most respected women I could think of and found these:

“A woman is like a tea bag – you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. – Eleanor Roosevelt.”

Have you ever found yourself in a situation that you thought you could not handle and ended up picking yourself up and working right through it? I know many can relate to this quote, not just women, but I know that women sometimes think they are not strong or able to live through something unless they have help. Remember ladies, you can do it and you can prove yourself, but do not do it for the recognition, do it for yourself. We believe in you!

“A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. – Coco Chanel.”

Why not be classy and fabulous? If you look confident then you can be confident. There is an old saying that “you are what you eat,” but in this instance you are what you feel. If you feel classy and fabulous you can show that to the world. It takes very little effort because you are beautiful inside and out, so why not show it to the world? I am sure they would love a sneak peek.

“It doesn’t matter who you are, or where you came from. The ability to triumph begins with you. Always.” ~Oprah Winfrey

Collegiates do not forget that you have the strength to overcome whatever obstacle comes your way. Know that the drive and power comes within you. There is nothing stopping you from accomplishing something but yourself. Go out there and triumph like you were ready for it since day one.