Life > Experiences

How to Host a Friend at Brown University: 6 Ways to Give Them The Best College Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

After attending a rigorous university like Brown and creating unforgettable experiences as unique personalities encapsulate you, you can’t wait to share your narratives at Brown with your friends from home, especially when they visit. The thrill of showing a friend, who was part of your old life at home, your new life at Brown is unbeatable, so it is essential to plan and hit every recommendation on the agenda when hosting a friend in college to ensure that they will have just as much fun as you do.

A walk/hangout on the Main Green

Of course, we all expected this recommendation on the agenda, but it probably is the most obvious and unforgettable experience for a friend. As Brown students, we tend to get so used to the Main Green by simply walking by it everyday on our way to classes that we forget its mesmerizing ambiance and its natural beauty. Take advantage of sunny days during your friend’s visit and grab a blanket, a board game and some charcuterie-like snacks and spend the day on the Main Green. Not only is this an excellent way to show your friend the heart of Brown’s campus that encapsulates all the vivid elements of Brown, but also your friend gets to meet most of your friends as everyone will undoubtedly pass by.

Campus tour

After your majestic day on the Main Green unwinds you from the reality of going to an Ivy League school, the next ideal step on your itinerary is to show them around campus. Catching the perfect time just before the sun sets and it’s becoming a bit chilly, grab your friend and show them the buildings surrounding the Main Green, walk past the Quiet Green and immerse yourselves in its serenity, show the grand library of The Hay that is a staple to Brown’s prestigious campus. Show them around the Science Quad where brain powers reach their limits, but I wouldn’t recommend entering the SciLi! Brown wouldn’t be complete without a runway on Thayer Street: grab a coffee at Ceremony, a crepe from the Creperie, and an avocado toast from Sydney and you are all set for the day.

Sunset at Prospect Terrace

After a long day of hanging out around central campus, your day wouldn’t be complete without catching the mesmerizing and ambient sunset at Prospect Terrace. Go early to grab a spot on the benches and unwind as you show your friend the impeccable views of Providence and play a guessing game of naming the staple buildings as you are encapsulated in a state of serenity as the sun sets.

Attend a class

Your friend deserves to grasp a small part of what an Ivy League education means and this is your chance to take them with you in a class. I wouldn’t recommend taking them to your hardest class but pick a class that is of an adequate level and let them take notes and act as if they are part of the class!

Restaurant experience

Despite its petite nature, Providence has an impeccable restaurant scene that your friend needs to experience. As you stroll around Downtown Providence, don’t miss the hotspots of Bellini, with mouth-watering Italian food, Oberlin, with a scent of elevated American food fresh from Rhode Island’s bay, Gifthorse, to visit Oberlin’s ‘little sister’, and Pot au Feu, for a French ambiance. Don’t forget to also visit Dave’s, Bolt, and The Shop for some heart-warming coffee and unbeatable avocado toasts.

Newport Day trip

Your friend’s trip can be completed in a wholesome way with a daytrip in Newport. Rent a Zipcar or take the bus to the little cute town of Newport and Newport Beach. Show them around the shops and restaurants at the pier and of course the little hut with ice cream. If you want their experience to be even more elevated, book a lunch spot at The Castle Hill Inn where you can enjoy some delectable lobster rolls with immaculate views.

@hercampusbrown

📍Exploring Narragansett, RI

♬ could you be loveddd – sophi
Hi my name is Sofia and I am a junior from Greece concentrating in Behavioral Decision Science with the Entrepreneurship path. Outside class I love cooking while listening to music, spending quality time with friends and family, and taking my dog to the beach. Coming from Greece, I love being immersed in water and enjoy kite surfing, wake surfing and swimming (especially with my dog of course, I don't go anywhere without her). I also enjoy playing tennis with friends and spontaneously composing piano pieces.