How to get into the Holiday Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

1) Watch a holiday movie
One of the easiest ways to get ready for the holiday season is to put on one of your favorite holiday movies. Some of my personal favorites are The Grinch, Love Actually, and Home Alone. There really is nothing like curling up under a blanket and enjoying one of your favorite festive films.

2) Make a holiday music playlist
Who doesn’t love holiday music and Christmas carols? Since there’s an abundance of holiday music out there, making a playlist of your personal favorites is always a good idea. Once you have your playlist, you can put on your favorite holiday tunes anytime! Cue All I want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carey.

3) Bake your favorite holiday treat
The holidays are centered around good food, especially desserts. Spending some time baking your favorite gingerbread or sugar cookie recipe will surely make you feel jolly. If possible, recruit a family member or friend to bake with you. After all, baking is always more fun with company.

4) Go gift shopping for family & friends
One of the most rewarding aspects of the holidays is picking out personalized and thoughtful presents for your family and friends. Although shopping for presents can be a bit stressful, there is nothing more satisfying than when you finally find the right gift for a family member or close friend. Plus, while you shop, you can enjoy all the beautiful holiday decorations of the stores and malls you transverse.

5) Organize a tour of your town’s holiday decorations
Holiday decorations and lights are some of my favorite parts of the season. A “tour” of your town’s decorations can actually be quite simple. All you have to do is hop in the car with some friends and drive around–admiring the holiday lights and decorations. You must go on your “tour” at night when all the beautiful lights are on, illuminating the various homes and buildings of your town. While you drive around, you can elevate the experience by playing your holiday music playlist.

Beatrice is a first-year, planning to concentrate in political science.