This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

As many college students pack up their dorm rooms and prepare to head home for the holidays, nothing sounds better than sleeping in your own bed, eating home cooked meals, and hugging that friend or family member that you haven’t seen in a while. Unfortunately, COVID-19 still has its grip on the country and holiday celebrations of the past must be modified to account for this. States have individual rules and parameters for quarantining, and I recommend that you research and follow your state’s guidelines.

If you’ve been doing online school at home:

You do not have to quarantine if you plan on enjoying the holidays with the same people that you have been living with for an extended period of time. However, if you are leaving your dorm to rejoin family or other loved ones that you haven’t been living with, quarantining and mask wearing is essential. The safety measures listed below are other recommendations if you are in this situation. 

If you’ve been living elsewhere for school:

If possible, virtual holiday celebrations are the safest way to reconnect with loved ones while keeping everyone safe. Quarantining and getting a COVID-19 test before seeing family and friends are necessary to make sure that you are keeping yourself and others safe. Once you are around family, wearing a mask and maintaining social distancing also helps to lessen the spread of the virus. If you are sharing a meal with others, it is beneficial to open windows which improves airflow in addition to keeping at least one empty chair in between each guest. When sharing a meal together, sitting every-other seat and opening windows wherever possible can improve airflow and help to maintain social distancing. Being outdoors whenever possible also helps maintain social distancing practices. Washing hands frequently, avoiding touching your face and mask, and skipping hugs and other greetings are other measures that will help you reduce contact with germs.

Lauren is a first year student from Providence, RI interested in creating her own concentration which would combine neuroscience, psychology, public health, and law. She loves fashion, true crime, Sherlock Holmes, and being on the Mock Trial team.
Katharine is the Co-Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus Brown chapter. She is a Junior concentrating in Public Policy.