Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Have the Best Valentine’s Day Without a Valentine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

So you missed your opportunity to cuff yourself a valentine this year. Big deal. Not having a S.O. on Valentine’s Day can make people feel especially lonely with couples blowing up your timeline, but V-day 2019 is all about positive energy for us single people. Valentine’s Day is the perfect opportunity to practice self-love and to let all the important people in your life know how much you appreciate them. You don’t need a b*yfriend to properly celebrate this day of  ~love~, so here are some ideas on how to treat your single ass to the best Valentine’s Day.

1. Galentine’s Day

For those of you who don’t watch Parks and Rec, Galentine’s Day is all about celebrating your ladies. Have a night in with wine, facemasks, and rom-coms (my favorites are Bridesmaids, Silver Linings Playbook, 10 Things I Hate About You, and The Other Woman).

1. V-day Secret Santa

Exchange valentines with your friends in  Secret Santa format. Trust me, girlfriends give waaaaay better gifts than boyfriends do.

1. Data Match

If you’re open to meeting someone, try Data Match. All you have to do is fill out a questionnaire and you will be paired up with other Brown students based on your compatibility. You can also get restaurant deals through Data Match if you do choose to go on your date. You might not find your soulmate, but why not give it a try?

1. Treat yo self!

Retail therapy is the answer to everything. Treat yourself to that new pair of shoes. Buy another pair of leggings not because you need them but because you want them. Add avocado!!! (!!!)

1. Singing Valentines

Buy a singing acapella from the Ursa Minors, an all-female acapella group on campus. They will go into the classroom of the student of your choice and perform a song of your choice.

1. Name a cockroach after your ex

The El Paso Zoo will give your ex’s name to a cockroach if you message them on Facebook.

They will be sharing pictures and names on their Facebook on February 14th. (https://www.facebook.com/elpasozoo/photos/a.482518977621/10156975620942622/?type=3&theater)

1. Tinder Roulette

The rules of Tinder Roulette are simple: pick a number and swipe left until you reach that amount. At your number, you have to swipe right no matter what comes across your screen.

1. Starbucks

I’m a big fan of the Starbucks secret menu. Some of the Valentine’s Day inspired features include the Love Bean, Valentine, Chocolate Covered Strawberry, Dirty Strawberry, and Dirty Valentine frappuccinos,and the Love on the Rocks refresher.

1. Shred your Ex

On February 14th, iLoveKickBoxing of East Providence will let you bring a picture of your ex to tape on a boxing bag. It’s a great workout and a great way to let out your inner psycho.

1. Shoot your shot

Some people are hesitant to initiate a scheme so close to Valentine’s Day, but you’ll never know if there are reciprocated feelings unless you make a move. Like Wayne Gretzky said, “you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” Just take a risk and put yourself out there, —because taking a chance and getting rejected is infinitely better than doing nothing.

Whether you hate or love this holiday, don’t miss this opportunity to celebrate all the good things in life. Love comes in many forms, and whether it come from friends, family, or yourself, all you need for a successful Valentine’s Day is to surround yourself with as much of it as possible. Make mistakes, love yourself, and pass that love on. Make Valentine’s Day 2019 count and spend it doing whatever it is that makes you happy. <3333

Erin is a junior at Brown University concentrating in Behavioral Decision Sciences.
Caleigh is the Co-Campus Correspondent of the Brown University chapter of Her Campus. She is in the class of 2021 studying History and French. She has previously held an internship position at Latina Magazine and worked as a social media editor for the Brown Daily Herald. She currently works as a digital marketing consultant for SiO Beauty. Caleigh grew up in New York City, where in her free time she explored neighborhoods looking for the best sushi and pizza, sharing her experiences through her food Instagram @food_overdudes.