This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

In a normal year, Presidents’ Day weekend is the perfect time for a quick getaway or a visit home. While we can’t travel this weekend due to the pandemic, there are plenty of ways to have fun over the long weekend while staying safe and following public health protocols. Here are a few ways to use the extra days off given the current circumstances.

Local day trip 

There are a lot of fun places to visit that are just a quick drive or uber away. Even though it’s cold out, it’s still really nice to go to the beach to walk around or have a picnic. Check out our article for some great beaches in Rhode Island to go to this weekend! Also, hiking is another fun, covid-safe activity that you can do for a day trip. There are plenty of good places to hike in the area. Here are some spots you can check out if you want to go on a hike over the long weekend. Along with wearing a mask and distancing from others, be sure to bundle up if you decide to do an outdoor day trip!

Celebrate Valentine’s Day 

President’s Day weekend and Valentine’s Day are overlapping, which calls for celebration! Valentine’s Day is on Sunday, and there are no classes on Monday, so use the holiday as an excuse to have fun. Instead of dwelling on the Valentine’s Day-themed parties that aren’t happening this year, enjoy the holiday with your immediate group of friends or your significant other. You can make Valentine’s Day treats and drinks, watch chick flicks, and stalk your Datamatch matches! Our recent article for fun ways to celebrate Galentine’s Day will give you some good inspiration!

Relax

Even though there’s not much going on during the pandemic, it’s still easy to get burnt out and feel like you’re overworking yourself. Use the days off for what they are– a break. We can all benefit from practicing self-care this long weekend. It’s the perfect opportunity to unplug for a bit and catch up on sleep, cook, or buy a nourishing meal, or do other things that make you feel good and help you recharge. You can even have an at-home spa day with your friends with nail painting, face masks, essential oils, and whatever else you want! We spend so much time inside nowadays, but we often forget to actually relax. Take time this weekend to make sure you are feeling well mentally and physically.

Get organized 

This long weekend activity may not sound as fun as the others, but it’s still a great way to use the extra time. Though it’s early in the semester, work is already piling up. Take some of this mini-break to plan out your schedule for upcoming assignments and responsibilities, and complete any other tasks you have been putting off that school may be distracting you from. If you’ve been productive, this is also a great opportunity to get ahead in your classes to make things easier for yourself in the future (good for you if you’re in this position)! It’s always nice to feel comfortable and well-prepared for the weeks ahead as the semester starts to pick up even more, and you can definitely take advantage of the long weekend to do this.

This weekend is four days long, and you may even have time to do all of these activities! It’s always good to take advantage of the time off and get back on track with your schoolwork and responsibilities, but make sure you find time to have some fun too, whether it’s with a nearby day trip, a Valentine’s Day celebration with your pod, or some self-care. Even though this weekend may not be as exciting as it is in a normal year, we can still make the most of it!

Hannah is a sophomore at Brown from the D.C. area in Virginia. She is concentrating in public policy.
Katharine is the Co-Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus Brown chapter. She is a Junior concentrating in Public Policy.