sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Enjoy Halloween During A Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

In the midst of a global pandemic, it may seem like Halloween is cancelled. However, there are plenty of ways to get into the Halloween spirit and celebrate safely. Video Chatting with your friends or going out in small, socially-distanced groups can be just as fun as traditional Halloween activities. Utilizing a variety of materials and budgets, I’ve compiled some ideas for how to have a fun Halloween even during quarantine.

1. Decorate pumpkins: painting & carving

To decorate for Halloween, paint pumpkins or carve jack o’lanterns. If you opt for fake pumpkins, they can be used as a decoration each year! Hop on video chat or have a socially-distanced hang out to get into the Halloween spirit with friends. 

2. Virtual costume contest and photoshoot

Already have your Halloween costume picked out? Host a virtual costume contest with your friends or classmates to put your costume to use. Or, do an at-home photoshoot showcasing your outfit! Sharing your costume with others can inspire future costumes and help you stay connected with friends and family that may be quarantined or far away.

3. Ghost photoshoot

A trend that has been sweeping Tik Tok recently, ghost photoshoots involve wearing a sheet and taking photos in seemingly normal locations. Grab a friend, a camera, and an old set of sheets and you’re all set!

4. Halloween movie marathon

Host a Halloween movie marathon at home or on video chat via platforms like Netflix Party or Disney+. Get your friends involved by filling a Zoom room and react to the movies together using audio or the chat feature. Bring popcorn, candy, and a drink to replicate the movie theater experience as much as possible.

Movie recommendations: Nightmare Before Christmas, the Corpse Bride, Beetlejuice, Hocus Pocus

5. Make your own halloween candy

Although store bought Halloween candy won’t be making its way into trick or treating bags this year, another way to salvage this classic part of Halloween is to make your own! There are so many kinds of candy to choose from and dozens of recipes online for every type that you could imagine. You can modify recipes to account for allergies or preferences to make the candy enjoyable for everyone! Packaging the candy in individual bags allows you to safely share your creations with friends and family! Put on a Halloween playlist and start baking!

Recipe idea: https://www.brit.co/homemade-candy-bars/

6. Boo-ing

“Boo-ing” is when you leave a box of Halloween decorations, candy, and other goodies outside of your neighbor’s house with a sign “you’ve been booed!” to help spread the Halloween spirit. After being booed, you must then boo another family and try your best to not get caught dropping off the gifts. Booing is a great activity for families with young children, and to involve your community in Halloween celebrations with minimal contact.

7. Leave candy outside your door/at the end of the driveway for neighbor kids

If there are children in your neighborhood or building who are sad about missing out on trick or treating, consider leaving a bowl of candy outside your door or near the mailbox for kids to share. Imagine how happy they will be to fill their trick or treating bags with candy! Include hand sanitizer next to the bowl to ensure that germs will be kept at bay. 

8. Apple/pumpkin picking

Going to a local farm and choosing a pumpkin from a patch or going apple picking are activities that are still possible during quarantine! Don your best flannel, jeans, and mask combo (or whatever is your go-to fall outfit) and head to the farm/orchard either solo or with a small group of masked friends. Be sure to wash your hands before and after picking, and to clean your pumpkin/apples once you return home. If you don’t feel well, stay home and have your friends pick some apples and choose a pumpkin for you instead!

Lauren is a first year student from Providence, RI interested in creating her own concentration which would combine neuroscience, psychology, public health, and law. She loves fashion, true crime, Sherlock Holmes, and being on the Mock Trial team.
Nora is the Campus Correspondent for Brown University's chapter. She is a Junior from New York studying Applied Math-Economics. Her interests are writing, painting, and playing tennis.