Horror Movies for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

With Halloweek fast approaching, we’re suggesting a selection – old and new – of Hollywood’s freakiest flicks to get you into the Halloween spirit. Whatever your taste for scary movies may be – ghosts, zombies, serial killers, rabid dogs – there’s something in here for you.

Paranormal Activity (2007)

Director: Oren Peli

Writer: Oren Peli

With the release of Paranormal Activity in theaters, it seemed appropriate to pay homage to the chilling original – a low-budget, single-camera movie about a couple that moves into a suburban home who are increasingly disturbed by a nightly demonic presence. Oren Peli forgoes story and visual effects for an anxiety-inducing build, and all of that slow-building tension really pays off.

Cujo (1983)

Director: Lewis Teague

Writers: Stephen King (novel), Don Carlos Dunnaway and Lauren Currier

Stephen King’s novel ‘Cujo’ is adapted for the silver screen. A St. Bernard named ‘Cujo’ is infected with rabies and proceeds to terrorize a small American town. Cynophobes stay away.

The Omen (1976)

Director: Richard Donner

Writer: David Seltzer

An American ambassador learns that his son is the literal Antichrist. It is considered one of the best films of 1976, and one of the best horror films of all time, holding an 82% ‘Fresh’ rating on the Rotten Tomatoes website and ranking number 81 on ‘100 Years… 100 Thrills’, a list of America’s scariest films. The movie boasts some gnarly decapitation scenes and, if creepy children freak you out, little Damien will be sure to burrow a hole in your conscience and plague your dreams.

The Hills Have Eyes (2006)

Director: Alexandre Aja

Writers: Alexandre Aja, Gregory Levasseur and Wes Craven

This remake of a classic packs in some more thrills and a lot more blood. A suburban family is stalked by a group of psychopaths who live in the desert, far away from help and civilization. There are enough disturbing scenes to make you think twice before taking that off-the-highway shortcut on a road trip with your friends.

28 Days Later (2002)

Director: Danny Boyle

Writer: Alex Garland

Four weeks after an incurable virus sweeps through the United Kingdom, a group of survivors try to find sanctuary. Boyle’s haunting horror flick combines terrifying zombie-like creatures with haunting post-apocalyptic scenery.