Hispanic Heritage Month: Incredibly Talented Hispanic Rising Stars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Hispanic Heritage Month is officially underway, so let us take some time to recognize and celebrate several of the most talented Hispanic rising stars on our T.V. screens, movie theaters, and music platforms. These distinguished changemakers from the Latino community have made great strides in entertainment this past year. However, a push for greater Latinx representation is still necessary. UCLA’s 2022 Hollywood Diversity Report found that only 7.7% of film roles go to Latinx actors, and 5.6% of Hollywood writers are Latinx.

In the meantime, I encourage you to check out these talented individuals:

Xóchitl Gómez

At only 16 years old, Xóchitl Gomez has already accomplished so much, from her leading role in the Netflix series remake of The Baby-Sitters Club to playing Latinx superhero America Chavez in the 2022 Marvel film Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. The Mexican-American actress’s work has not gone unnoticed. Gomez will be honored at this year’s National Hispanic Foundation For The Arts D.C. Gala. Although no confirmation has been made, it is hinted that Xóchitl will reprise her role as America in future Marvel projects.

Omar Apollo

Mexican-American R&B artist Omar Apollo is not new to the spotlight. He is a 2-time Latin Grammy nominee and a recent Billboard Hot 100 First-Timer with his hit “Evergreen” off his deluxe version of his latest album, Ivory. With over 8 million monthly listeners on Spotify, Omar has also culminated almost 650,000 views on his recent NPR Tiny Desk Concert video, demonstrating his love for his Latin culture with a rendition of Mexican corrido. Omar is set to kick off his Prototype Tour across North America alongside Ravyn Lenae in October.

Colman Domingo

Afro-Latino actor and director Colman Domingo has had an extremely successful year playing Ali, a recovering addict on HBO’s hit drama series Euphoria, which won him a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series. Colman is also just as talented on stage, proven by his acclaimed performance as Mr. Bones in the Broadway musical The Scottsboro Boys, which won him a nomination for a Tony Award for Best Featured Actor in a Musical in 2011. Colman is expected to make headlines again as he will play Mister in the upcoming second film adaptation of The Color Purple alongside Taraji P. Henson, Fantasia, and H.E.R.

Ana de Armas

Despite moving to Los Angeles less than ten years ago, Cuban-Spanish actress Ana de Armas already has an impressive filmography, featuring Box Office successes like Blade Runner 2049, Knives Out, and No Time to Die. Her latest portrayal as Marilyn Monroe in Andrew Dominik’s Blonde has received tremendous buzz, as it could potentially be Netflix’s best shot at grabbing a Lead Actor Academy Award. If Ana were to be nominated for best actress, she would be the 5th Latina ever to be selected in the category.

Julio Torres

Salvadoran writer and comedian Julio Torres is best known as an Emmy Award-Winning writer for Saturday Night Live and as the co-creator, writer, and executive producer of the hit HBO series Los Espookys. With a 100% Rotten Tomatoes score, Los Espookys has gained widespread success for its unique Spanish-language, horror-comedy style. If you’re looking for a new show to watch this fall, tune in on Fridays at 11 pm E.S.T. for new episodes of Season 2!

María Zardoya

Front woman of the emerging indie pop band based in Los Angeles The Marías, Puerto Rican-born María Zardoya is a force to be reckoned with, following the band’s Grammy nomination for Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical and their collaboration with Spotify’s 2022 most-streamed artist Bad Bunny on the song “Otro Atardecer” from his album Un Verano Sin Ti. With over 9 million monthly listeners on Spotify, the Marías are set to embark on their first tour at the end of this year to promote their latest album, Cinema, and open for singer Halsey on her Love and Power Tour.

This article was originally published on 10/11/2022. It was updated on 10/14/2022.

🎤 Related: Inclusive Language for Hispanic Heritage Month
Junior at Brown University double majoring in International & Public Affairs and Public Health who is a California girl at heart, enjoys hot girl walks and spin classes, feels at home at the movie theater, and is a part-time Lululemon employee (<3 the discount)