Healthy Options When Everything Sucks: A Ratty Handbook

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

It’s a Sunday night, and after a long day at the library- or after finally getting in that workout you’ve been telling yourself you were going to do all week – you can’t wait for (what you hope) will be a good meal at the Ratty. But what do you do when, as often happens, there’s nothing in the Bistro or Veggie line that appeals to you? Baked Scrod? Ambiguous Quiche? Watery soup? What?
As a junior at Brown University, I’ve picked up on a few easy-to-make dishes that almost always beat the Bistro. And- as an added bonus- they’re relatively healthy too!
  1. Quesadilla + veg

So nothing in the Vegetarian line appeals to you. What next? Check the bar- is there shredded cheese? (9 times out of 10 the answer is ‘yes’, unless you happen to be at the Ratty on Sandwich Bar day. Then, you’re probably screwed.) If so, take one of the wraps from the Grill line (I’m a fan of the spinach or whole wheat), put some cheese and whatever else you want in the filling (spinach?  Diced tomatoes? Olives?) and throw it in the Panini press. You might have to wait for a bit longer- but trust me, the payoff is worth it. And, as an added bonus, I’ve made far more friends at the Ratty than I would’ve expected! Turns out that waiting to make a ‘Dilla is a clique activity. Kanye would be proud.  

1. Pasta + veg

Again this dish relies on the shredded cheese. Find some whole wheat pasta from the Bistro line, and- if it’s a day that the Ratty is offering spinach- throw that on top of the pasta. Then sprinkle some cheese on top and put the whole thing in the microwave. It’s not exactly fine cuisine, but it probably beats the baked potato that you were considering before.

1. Grilled Sandwich

Again, this involves making some friend around the Panini presser. But in a pinch, I always go for a grilled sandwich. (If they have whole wheat buns and portabello mushrooms in the veggie bar, that’s always an added plus.) Wait 2-3 minutes, especially if you put on some American or Jack cheese to melt on top.

1. Salad

Okay, so this one’s a no-brainer. The renovated salad line appeals to us all, especially on mozzarella ball day. (You know that’s what you were thinking.) But so many of us are reluctant to wait in the seemingly never-ending line to get to the good stuff. My recommendation: it’s worth it! And if a salad isn’t enough for a meal, try complementing it with a piece of chicken from the Grill line.

Obviously you may get tired of recycling these dishes, and I’ll admit that even I am ready to go off meal plan next year. But hey- you work with what you’ve got, right? This Brunonian is proud to call herself a Ratty Gourmet Innovator.