This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Chris Ballantyne is an artist whose quiet but powerful paintings have been exhibited in a number of impressive solo and group exhibitions. Though his work is not intended to be a direct commentary on global warming, his poetic and sometimes quirky pieces invite us to contemplate the relationship between the man made – namely, buildings and suburban neighborhoods – and the natural and organic.

Artist’s Statement: 

My work has often focused on vernacular architecture and observation of the American landscape. Growing up in a military family and moving to different parts of the country, there was a certain familiarity to the kinds of houses and neighborhoods. They were a series of suburban developments built in separate regions of the country, always on the outskirts of larger cities, at the exit ramps of interstate highways and all very similar in age and design. My own notions of space developed out of this cultural landscape, which was striving for an individual sense of personal space, was consciously economic and was somewhere between urban and rural. Most of my works involve combinations of various places, drawn from memory. As well, my own interests in skateboarding and surfing altered how I saw the use of these structures—ranging from empty pools and sidewalk curbs to ocean jetties—in a way that tied in to my sense of push-and-pull between culture and nature. I use paintings, drawings and installations as my primary modes of expression, often depicting, through aerial views, familiar yet strangely unpopulated urban and suburban environments.

Luisa Robledo and Haruka Aoki instantly bonded over the love for witty writing and haute couture. Haruka, a self-professed fashionista, has interned at Oak Magazine and various public relations companies where she has reached leadership positions. Luisa, a passionate journalist and editor of the Arts and Culture section of Brown University's newspaper, has interned and Vogue and has co-designed a shoe collection for the Colombian brand Kuyban. Together, they aim to create a website that deals with the real issues that college women face, a space that can serve as a forum of communication. With the help of an internationally-minded team section editors and writers who have different backgrounds, experiences, and mentalities, these two Brown girls will establish a solid presence on-campus.