This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Valentine’s Day tends to be a holiday that evokes an array of emotions amongst college students. For those on campus who are in committed relationships, this holiday can be great–full of cute and celebratory romantic gestures. However, the rest of us tend to see Valentine’s Day as a cringy and rather brutal reminder of how single we truly are. Even if you are not going to receive a dozen roses this Valentine’s Day, you can still enjoy the holiday by taking the opportunity to honor and celebrate your amazing female friendships! Here are a few fun Galentine’s Day ideas to try out with your other single girlfriends.

1. Have a chick flick movie night. You and your friends can put your pajamas on, get comfy, pop some popcorn, and watch your favorite feel-good movie. Some of my personal favorites in this genre are Bridesmaids, 13 Going on 30, and How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. A girls’ movie night is super lowkey but also an effective way to bring your girlfriends together for an entertaining night. 

2. Bake some Valentine’s Day themed treats. Baking with a group of friends is always fun, especially when you have a fun theme to follow. No matter which baked goods you choose to make, you can incorporate the Valentine’s Day theme by adding pink frosting, sprinkles, or shaping your creation into a heart. Baking is especially fun because you get to eat your final product!

3. Go out to a nice dinner. You can make a reservation for you and your friends at your favorite local restaurant. If you really want to have fun with your dinner out, you all can get dressed up in your favorite red/pink outfits together. Treating yourself to some good food and even better company is the best way to spend a Galentine’s Day.

4. Shop ‘til you drop. Spending a couple hours shopping with your closest girlfriends is always amusing. Regardless of whether you actually purchase anything, you will have a blast trying on funky outfits and giving your friends fashion advice.

Overall, if you opt to organize a Galentine’s Day with your friends, the activity you all decide on does not really matter. As long as you and your girlfriends are all together and having fun, your Galentine’s Day will be a success! For you Park and Recs fans out there, Leslie Knope describes it best: Galentine’s Day is all about “ladies celebrating ladies.”

Beatrice is a first-year, planning to concentrate in political science.