Final-Days-of-Summer Activities in Providence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Returning back to campus in the midst of a pandemic is certainly not ideal. However, Providence is a great city that has lots of COVID-19 friendly activities to offer. Here are a few fun things to do in and around Providence while it’s still nice out (and you’ve completed the quiet period)!

Picnic in Roger Williams Park

Roger Williams Park is one of Providence’s most scenic spots. This park offers beautiful gardens, a sizable pond, and breathtaking fall foliage. A casual lunch picnic with some friends would be perfect here. Gather some friends on the next crisp afternoon and check out Roger Williams Park!

Providence Kayak Co.

Providence Kayak Co. operates right off of the Providence river–which is just minutes from Brown’s campus. Renting a kayak is not only affordable, but also a unique way to explore the city. Additionally, if you want a more formal view from the waters of Providence, Providence Kayak Co. offers guided tours on the Providence and Woonasquatucket rivers.  

East Bay Bike Path 

East Bay Bike Path begins at India Point Park in Providence and ends at the Independence Park in Bristol. The 14.3 mile long path is used for biking, walking/jogging, fishing, and even cross country skiing. You will not regret spending a couple hours exploring this largely waterfront path on a nice and sunny day.

RISD Beach

Located just 15 minutes from Brown’s campus, RISD beach is owned by RISD and is available to Brown and RISD students free of charge. The ocean stays surprisingly warm throughout September, so it’s not too late to go for a swim during the coming weekends! Even as the weather gets colder, RISD beach is still a great spot for a picnic or walk. 

Cliff Walk in Newport

Although this spot is not right in Providence, it is definitely worth checking out. Newport is an absolutely spectacular place for a day trip. Located right on the water, the Cliff Walk is one of Newport’s most picturesque spots. During your walk, you will have breathtaking views of the historic mansions as well as an array of beautiful gardens.    

Sachuest Point Figure-Eight Hike 

Also located in Newport, Sachuest Point Figure-Eight hike is a pristine hiking trail. The seaside trail is 2.7 miles long. Although the trail is known to be rather easy, you can up the difficulty by opting to run half (or maybe all) of it.

Beatrice is a first-year, planning to concentrate in political science.
Nora is the Campus Correspondent for Brown University's chapter. She is a Junior from New York studying Applied Math-Economics. Her interests are writing, painting, and playing tennis.