Everything You Need to Know About the 96th Academy Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

As the 96th Academy Awards approaches, Hollywood is buzzing with anticipation for what could be a night of groundbreaking achievements and historic wins. With a diverse array of nominees spanning various categories, the 2024 Oscars promise to be a celebration of talent, diversity, and cinematic excellence.

One of the most talked-about potential milestones involves Lily Gladstone, whose performance in Killers of the Flower Moon has positioned her as a trailblazer. Should she emerge victorious in the Best Actress category, Gladstone would not only become the first Native American woman to win an Oscar but also the first person of Native American heritage to clinch an acting award, a momentous triumph for representation in the film industry.

Director Martin Scorsese’s nomination for Killers of the Flower Moon also holds the potential for a record-setting moment. As the most-nominated living director, Scorsese could further solidify his legacy by clenching his 10th nomination in the Best Director category, potentially becoming the oldest winner in the category’s history at 81 years old.

Meanwhile, the film Oppenheimer has emerged as a frontrunner with an impressive 13 nominations, setting the stage for a possible record-breaking night. With the opportunity to tie or surpass the current record for the most Oscar wins by a single film, Oppenheimer is poised to make cinematic history.

In the acting categories, Sandra Hüller’s nomination for Anatomy of a Fall presents the opportunity for a significant win. If victorious, Hüller would become the first German-born actress in over six decades to clinch the Best Actress Oscar, showcasing the global impact of cinema.

Non-English language films are also poised to make waves, with Anatomy of a FallPast Lives, and The Zone of Interest potentially making history in the Best Picture category. Their success would underscore the universal appeal and cultural significance of cinema beyond English-speaking borders.

Emma Stone’s dual nominations for Best Actress and as a producer for Poor Things could result in a rare double win, while Colman Domingo’s potential victory for Best Actor in Rustin could mark a historic moment for Afro-Latino representation in film.

Furthermore, the film American Fiction stands to make history with potential wins for both Jeffrey Wright and Sterling K. Brown, highlighting the impact of diversity in storytelling.

Bradley Cooper’s nomination for Best Actor in Maestro, a film he directed, adds an intriguing layer to the night, as he vies to join a select group of individuals who have directed themselves to acting wins.

As the world awaits the 2024 Oscars, the stage is set for a night of unforgettable moments and the celebration of cinematic excellence, diversity, and the power of storytelling on the grandest stage of them all.

As for the ceremony details:

• The 96th Annual Academy Awards will be held on Sunday, March 10, at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, airing live on ABC.
  • While the performers and presenters haven’t been officially announced yet, there’s speculation about performers like Billie Eilish and Ryan Gosling making appearances.
Chantal is a senior at Brown University who is double concentrating in International and Public Affairs and Slavic Studies. She has a passion for all things travel, entertainment, and culture. Chantal was previously a member of the Women's Basketball team. As a current contributor for Her Campus at Brown and the Director of Communications for Brown Women in Politics, she channels her passion for writing and advocacy into meaningful projects. When not immersed in academics or extracurriculars, Chantal enjoys running outdoors, spinning tracks as a DJ for friends, and indulging in her love for live music at concerts. Her future aspirations reflect her global perspective; she plans to leverage her English skills to become an educator in Viet Nam after graduation, further bridging cultures through language and education.