Don’t Sacrifice Your Looks for the Library

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

As the year winds down, we seem to be spending more time quality time with the library than with the Main Green. But, this whole concept of “looking good” is easier said than done when you just spent two hours writing a paper, four hours studying for your calculus exam, and five hours cramming for Orgo. Honestly, your only worry at this moment has nothing to do with your outfit and everything to do with how many coffees you can buy without going broke. But, it is completely possible to look put together and get those A’s that you deserve! Here are a few tips to ace that effortless look!

1. Athletic Chic!

One day, I entered a study lounge with a lacrosse pinnie, some jeans, and a cardigan. I really hadn’t put any thought into the outfit. I simply wanted to be comfortable because I knew that it was going to be a very, very long night of scholarly pursuit and achievement (or, so I hoped). Anyway, my friends started to deem this look of mine “athletic chic,” and I instantly loved the name. So, one way to look cute but still be comfortable is to dress up some of your workout clothes! Grab a lacrosse pinnie, a sweatshirt, a workout top and put on some jewelry and your most comfortable jeans. Suddenly, an outfit that you would just wear to the gym can be used as a stylish look as you run from Starbucks, to your dorm, and back to the library. The easiest way to achieve this look is really play up accessories. If you have a plain shirt on from your high school basketball season, pair it with a cool headband and some statement earrings! Or, grab a necklace and bracelet pair! The best part is that this outfit is extremely easy to pick out from your closet so your precious time can be well-spent crossing things off your to do list!

2. A simple dress!

This tip is dedicated to those who live by the “look good, feel good” routine. If you think about it, wearing a dress is a hundred percent easier than putting together an actually outfit because you don’t have to worry about matching your top and bottom. You just slip it on and you’re out the door. Reach for dresses that are a reasonable length and are more of an A-line shape. The A-line shape will smooth over your bottom half, which is more comfortable than wearing skinny jeans. Also, a reasonable length will prevent from any wardrobe malfunctions!

3. Basics!

One of the easiest ways to make sure you are comfortable and stylish is to look to your basics. I’m talking a white t-shirt, black blazer, jean shorts, flats and your textbook to complete the look. Basically, the point is to grab those simple pieces, throw them together and get out the door. Because everything you pick is going to be elementary, you won’t have to worry about matching complicated patterns or working with challenging cuts. Every piece will complement with other parts your outfit and you’ll look like the classy scholar that you are.

Good luck with finals everyone!

Isabelle is a native New Yorker from Great Neck, Long Island. She is currently a sophomore at Brown University. Throughly in love with medicine and media, she hopes to become a medical correspondent for a major news outlet. When she isn't DJing for 95.5 WBRU or writing for HerCampus, you can find her on the elliptical watching Scandal. Or, in her room watching Scandal. Depends on the day. She also loves the color green, is obsessed with smoothie making, and loves to rep her Haitian heritage.