Career

Crafting Your Digital Identity: How to Build a Strong LinkedIn Profile for Career Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

In today’s digital world, your online presence is a contributing factor to your success. Among the vast number of platforms, LinkedIn stands out as the main destination for professionals aiming to network, showcase their skills, and find career opportunities. Your LinkedIn profile serves as a digital resume and as a snapshot of your professional journey. Here are some tips on how to build a strong profile to help you fulfill your career aspirations:

Start with a Strong Headline and Summary

Your headline is the first thing a viewer will see on your profile! You have a limited number of characters so use this space wisely to include your active role or most recent experience. Expand on your role’s details in the summary portion of your profile, making sure to include keywords used in your industry as it will increase visibility and attract the right connections. Use this space to let your audience know more about your expertise and aspirations!

Showcase Your Experience and Achievements

List your experiences in reverse chronological order and include your role title. Write about your contributions using concise descriptions and quantifiable achievements if applicable. In this section of your LinkedIn profile, bullet points improve readability and help the audience understand your skills and values.

Utilize Visuals

Using photos can increase your engagement with the audience! It provides concrete examples of your skills and accomplishments, enhancing your profile! I would strongly suggest including a professional headshot as your profile picture since it will create a positive first impression. 

Actively Engage and Network

LinkedIn is a dynamic networking platform. It is important to actively engage with your peers by congratulating them on their achievements and showing support. You can also choose to share relevant posts and articles! Furthermore, you can join groups and engage in different discussions to share your expertise. 

Continuously Update Your Profile

Your LinkedIn profile should grow as you evolve in your career. Make it a habit to regularly update it with new skills and achievements. Even when you feel like you have nothing new to share, write about updates within your current role and the new lessons you have learned. 

Leverage LinkedIn Features for Career Opportunities

Explore LinkedIn’s job search functionality to discover relevant opportunities for you! There are many ways to filter based on industry, location, date posted, and experience level. Customize the search based on your preferences and apply for different openings.

Take time to craft your LinkedIn profile and your next career opportunity might be one click away!

Lyra Ymeraga is a student at Brown University. She is one of the writers for Her Campus and her articles focus on self-improvement and fashion. Lyra studies Computer Science and Entrepreneurship. Furthermore, she is a board member of Fashion at Brown as one of the Industry Programming Directors and she is also part of the design team. She is involved with Women in Business and is a member of the Kappa Delta Sorority. In her free time, she likes to journal, exercise, and have spa days!