Color In Business

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Color psychology studies how colors impact moods, feelings, and behaviors. Just as blue is associated with calm, different colors can be associated with positive and negative meanings in business. Applying this knowledge in business can come in handy.

Red stands for energy, passion, action, strength, and excitement.  Unlike the more feminine pink, red represents masculine energy. In business, wearing red can make you look confident, driven, and passionate, but it can also send a negative message by making you appear over-bearing, intolerant, and ruthless. Red should be used as an accent color i, like in a scarf, instead of for an entire outfit. If red is too strong for your taste, go with one of the sister colors: maroon, burgundy, and scarlet.  

Blue is one of the safest colors to use. Dark blue, especially, stands for trust, honesty, and dependability and is effective in jobs that deal with customers. This color is often used for more conservative types of businesses such as accountants, insurance companies, and financial institutions. Of course, too much of it can cause you to look very rigid and deceitful.

Then there’s the traditional black. Black reminds me of a quote from Stepford Wives: “Only high-powered, neurotic, castrating, Manhattan career b— wear black.”  Psychologically, black means power and control. Black is a sophisticated color that can make other people feel protected, as if you will have any situation contained. On the negative side, the color can make you seem intimidating and unapproachable, so adding color accents can brighten up the outfit. Black is a common color used by young people who are still trying to get their foot in the door. In business, black is commonly used in businesses that sell luxury and elegance.

Another common color in business is gray. It is a conservative color that can send a message of wisdom, maturity, refinement, and neutrality as well as boredom, sadness, and indifference. Gray is considered a safe color compared to the more outspoken black, without sacrificing too much power and control. Pair a gray suit with blue accents can further emphasize credibility.

Read more at: http://www.empower-yourself-with-color-psychology.com/meaning-of-colors….

Luisa Robledo and Haruka Aoki instantly bonded over the love for witty writing and haute couture. Haruka, a self-professed fashionista, has interned at Oak Magazine and various public relations companies where she has reached leadership positions. Luisa, a passionate journalist and editor of the Arts and Culture section of Brown University's newspaper, has interned and Vogue and has co-designed a shoe collection for the Colombian brand Kuyban. Together, they aim to create a website that deals with the real issues that college women face, a space that can serve as a forum of communication. With the help of an internationally-minded team section editors and writers who have different backgrounds, experiences, and mentalities, these two Brown girls will establish a solid presence on-campus.