zendaya and sydney sweeney in corset dresses at the emmys 2022
Photo by Danny Moloshok/Invision for the Television Academy/AP Images
Style > Fashion

College Guide: How To Celebrate The 2023 Met Gala With Style & European Flair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

The most important Monday in the fashion industry is upon us! Since 1948, the Met Gala fundraiser has attracted each era’s most elite fashion and media icons. Each year, the theme and invitation remain highly sought after. This year’s Met Gala represents an ode to the past fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld in its title “Karl Lagerfeld: A Line of Beauty.” Lagerfeld’s influence on European fashion will be seen on and in the four European guest hosts: La La Anthony, Derek Blasberg, Chloe Fineman, and special correspondent Emma Chamberlain. 

Despite the exclusive nature of the Met Gala fundraiser, there are many ways to celebrate the occasion in style during college with your friends. As with any evening affair, fare, fashion, and festivities are essential. In line with the theme of this year’s Met Gala, European influence is of foremost importance when planning the gathering. 

Refreshments: Welcome your guests with European-inspired cuisine. Since Lagerfeld spent the better part of his career at the French fashion house Chanel, consider a fresh-themed drink and treats menu for when you stream the Met Gala runway beginning at 6:30 p.m. EST. This may be a crepe decorating evening. You can be creative within the category of crepes, making sweet and savory options for the main course and dessert. Opt for a sausage, egg, and cheese crepe to begin and conclude with a Nutella-strawberry masterpiece decorated with powdered sugar. Or, in honor of Lagerfeld’s German heritage, prepare a classic sausage, pretzel, and mustard grazing board for viewing the runway. 

Fashion: Arrive in style and on theme. Wear your very own interpretation of the Met Gala theme. While pomp and circumstance need not be at quite the level of the actual Met runway, you can still embrace European designs such as tweed, trench coats, and sophisticated two-piece matching sets. Look to Pinterest for encouragement, and see Karl.com for more specific styles. 

Festivities: Engage your guests with a fashion game! Make guesses on the number of guests wearing certain designers, their hair in updos, or various colors. The guest who makes the best selections will be awarded a special party favor, such as a nail polish set, a Starbucks gift card, or a package of macarons from Whole Foods. 

Maggie Seidel is the President of the Her Campus at Brown chapter. In this role, she oversees and recruits new members and writers, produces content for Pinterest and Instagram, manages the calendar, editorial process, and brand partnerships, leads weekly meetings and outreach, and contributes weekly articles. Maggie studies International & Public Affairs and Entrepreneurship, and she is a current sophomore. She is also a chair on the executive leadership team of Brown University's Women in Business, the Co-Editor-In-Chief of the Intercollegiate Finance Journal, a teaching assistant for an entrepreneurship class at Brown, and a member of Kappa Delta sorority. Her Campus is Maggie's place of happy. She also loves to play tennis, celebrate holidays of any and all kinds, curate new Pinterest boards, and enjoy a leisurely weekend brunch and cup of warm coffee.