Life > Experiences

Can You Keep a Secret? The 5 Best Small Towns for a New England Getaway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Fall is one of my favorite times of year in New England. The air is crisp, leaves are falling, and there are endless seasonal activities to get in the mood. It’s also a great time to road trip with friends and explore the small, historic towns scattered across the region while taking in the scenes of foliage. Here are 5 towns worth visiting this season. 

Bar Harbor, Maine

Bar Harbor is a coastal town in Maine located right next to Acadia National Park. It’s a scenic drive up from Boston with other towns and attractions to stop by, such as Portland, the biggest city in Maine, and Freeport, where the 24/7 LL Bean Flagship store is located. Acadia offers hiking trails to take in the scenery of beaches, mountains, and the ocean.

Newport, Rhode Island

Newport, in southern Rhode Island, offers fall activities such as ghost tours, hayrides, and corn mazes for families and friend groups alike. In addition to the Cliff Walk and the chance to visit historic mansions, the town center is a great opportunity for dining and shopping.

Lee, Massachusetts

Lee, located in western Massachusetts, is known as the “Gateway to the Berkshires”. The Berkshires is a great option for a rural weekend getaway in a cozy Airbnb or historic inn. Activities to do around the area include visiting museums such as the Norman Rockwell Museum and MASS MoCA, hiking Mount Greylock, and touring the Hancock Shaker Museum.

Stowe, Vermont

Well-known as a winter ski and snowboard destination, Stowe, located in northern Vermont, is also great to visit in the fall. Activities include celebrating Oktoberfest at the von Trapp Family Lodge (from the Sound of Music), visiting pumpkin patches, and driving through Vermont’s signature covered bridges such as Emily’s Bridge. 

Litchfield, Connecticut

Litchfield is a small town in Connecticut close to the Berkshires. A great way to take in the scenery is by slow train rides, such as the Naugatuck Railroad along a river. Scenic drives are also a great way to explore this part of Connecticut, and I highly recommend Arethusa for an ice cream break!

Blossom is a sophomore at Brown University from Hong Kong studying Behavioral Decision Sciences and Economics. Beyond Her Campus, she is a part of Kappa Delta Sorority and Hong Kong Students Association. She enjoys going to coffee shops, traveling to new countries, going on walks, and hanging out with friends and her dog.