Bedroom Ready Body in Time for Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

First of all, I don’t believe that there is any one way for a woman to be “Bedroom Ready”.  And if that’s what your expecting from this article—for me to tell you what a beautiful woman looks like naked—you should probably stop reading now. The way I see it, it’s all about doing what makes you comfortable. If you feel sexy, you’ll show it. As Shakespeare once said, “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.” Bedroom-Ready Tip Number One: Think Yourself into Sexy. It’s all about having the confidence to strip down in front of someone and say, Hey, no shame. I’m beautiful, and we both know it. 

As an advocate of the unshaved vagina, I’m not going to tell you to jump off your butt and go get a bikini wax. Though that’s one way that society may expect us to be “Bedroom Ready”, it’s actually quite far from a foregone conclusion.  But I reiterate: Think Yourself into Sexy. If shaving is what makes you feel ‘Bedroom-Ready’, do it! In case you were wondering, this can be done at several different places that are not too far from campus. Check out Luminous Salon & Spa on Pitman, or The W Salon on Westminster Street. Starting as low as $24, you can achieve a hairless down-there just in time for Valentine’s Day. 
But ladies, if you happen to be of the same opinion as me, don’t pressure yourself into thinking that getting yourself waxed is the only way to be sexy. Studies show that the porn industry has had the greatest hand in producing a mythology about what makes naked look good. According to the Atlantic Monthly, “It could be attributed to visual pornographers’ desire to infantilize women, or simply to make genitalia more visible to the camera.”  As a guy once told me, “I wouldn’t want to have sex with a bald eagle.” Just keep in mind that when it comes to your body, you hold all the cards. And if you think you’re sexy, the odds are that he will too. 

On the other hand, some have argued that shaving down there is a form of empowerment. According to Indiana University Researcher Debbie Herbenick, “Many women have started to feel a sense of ownership over their bodies—an autonomy… If they want to take it off, they take it off. If they want to grow it back, they grow it back. If they want to shave it into a heart, they shave it into a heart. But they’re doing it because they want to.”  But enough about pubic hair. How else can you think about achieving sexy? If you’re looking for a single answer to that question, I’m not here to provide it for you. (Maybe check out Playboy or Cosmo.) As far as I’m concerned, there are plenty of ways to go about being beautifu
l. 

For instance, I recently bought some lingerie online as a little back-to-the-semester treat. Again, ladies, it’s all about feeling sexy. If I feel good about my body, so does he. And just as there are many different ways to be “Bedroom Ready”, so too are there a thousand different ways to wear ‘sexy’. If you don’t believe me, check out Fredericks of Hollywood.  (They have a special Valentine’s collection that might strike your fancy, or alternatively have you ROFLing.) And hey, what about feeling like your body is just generally “in shape”? As a member of Attitude Dance Company, I have several different suggestions for how to get yourself fit for the bedroom. Check out the Zumba classes offered by 305 Fitness – if you can’t think yourself into Sexy, you can certainly sweat yourself there! 

I’ll end this article- quite appropriately- with a quote from Eleanor Roosevelt: “Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.” Despite what people may have to say about what makes a woman sexy or unsexy, the key is in your attitude. (Shout out to Attitude Dance Co!) Whether you’re shaved or furry, dark or light, thin or curvy, straight or curly, the key is to remember that you’ve got the power. Don’t ever let anyone make you think otherwise.