This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Aside from books, a laptop, and other school supplies, there are a number of must-have items for your backpack. Your backpack stays with you during classes and studying, no matter the time of day or the weather outside, so it is crucial to always have certain essentials packed. I’ve only been in college for half of a semester, but I have learned the importance of what I put in my backpack. From getting stuck in an afternoon storm to feeling hungry in the library, your backpack should have you covered for whatever comes your way. Here is a list of backpack essentials that I have compiled after my short time here at Brown.

Water Bottle

Definitely one of the most important items on this list, a good reusable water bottle will serve you well. Keeping a water bottle with you at all times assures that you stay hydrated. Whenever you get thirsty throughout the day, it is convenient to have your water bottle with you in your backpack. Most classroom buildings have water fountains to refill them, as does the Blue Room, and all libraries and dining halls. 

Chargers

Sometimes you leave your room in the morning and don’t return until the end of the day. In case this happens, it is key to have a laptop and phone charger with you. You never know when you’ll get stuck in the library, and there is nothing worse than a dying computer when you just start making progress on an assignment. Bringing your chargers with you in your backpack prevents any chance of these mishaps.  

Headphones

While I’m not one to walk through campus with headphones in, they are a vital resource when I’m trying to get work done. A homework session can go by much smoother with a solid study playlist, and headphones are a necessity if you want to listen to music in the library or in other quiet areas. Headphones can also be useful in tuning out background noise to increase your focus, so make sure to always have them in your backpack.

Gum or Mints

Whenever I pull my gum out of my backpack, I end up giving a piece to all my friends, which demonstrates why everyone should keep a pack in their backpack at all times. Gum or mints are perfect for any time of day, especially after coffee or lunch. Keeping a pack in your backpack ensures that your breath is always fresh, allowing you to feel more confident and clean.

Chapstick

Chapped lips are the worst. Everyone has their favorite type of chapstick, and it is worth buying an extra one to keep in your backpack. You never know when you’ll need to apply chapstick, and with the winter approaching, you’ll likely need to be reapplying it more frequently.

Umbrella

I don’t leave my room with an umbrella in my bag everyday, but if there is even a slight chance of rain, I bring one. After forgetting one day and walking through torrential downpour, I have certainly learned my lesson. Umbrellas prove to be a lifesaver and the determinant between enduring an average rainy day and a really terrible rainy day. A small umbrella is easy to fit in the side pocket of a backpack, making it an easy and smart addition.

Snack

A snack in your backpack can come in clutch when you least expect it. Usually, I keep a banana from the dining hall in my bag, or I’ll pack a granola bar from my room. Whatever your favorite portable, healthy snack is, it is a good idea to keep one in your backpack. When hunger hits while studying, it is incredibly convenient to be able to reach into your bag and grab something, rather than lose your focus and study spot to go buy something.

Tissues

Tissues may not be a full on necessity, but they are a nice addition that come in handy when you least expect it. I keep one mini pack of tissues in my backpack just in case I need them (thanks to my mom for sending me tissue packs in a care package). Especially as the weather gets colder, you never know when you’ll need a tissue. They don’t take up a lot of space in your bag, so they are worth putting in there.

While these suggestions are nothing out of the ordinary, you’d be surprised to know that most backpacks lack these essential items. You won’t realize the importance of these backpack additions until you’re stuck in a thunderstorm with no phone or computer charge, hungry, thirsty with chapped lips and a runny nose.

Hannah is a sophomore at Brown from the D.C. area in Virginia. She is concentrating in public policy.
Caleigh is the Co-Campus Correspondent of the Brown University chapter of Her Campus. She is in the class of 2021 studying History and French. She has previously held an internship position at Latina Magazine and worked as a social media editor for the Brown Daily Herald. She currently works as a digital marketing consultant for SiO Beauty. Caleigh grew up in New York City, where in her free time she explored neighborhoods looking for the best sushi and pizza, sharing her experiences through her food Instagram @food_overdudes.