Life > Experiences

4 Ways To Have The *Best* Galentine’s In Providence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Who needs a significant other when you have your girls? Valentine’s Day can be a drag of a holiday full of unwanted pressures or reminders of undesired relationship status. But love exists in many shapes and forms, so why not celebrate your love for best friends? My girlfriends and I have decided to celebrate Galentine’s this year. Here are four ways you and your friends can absolutely crush your Galentine’s Day in Providence!

Have a wine night

Grab your favorite bottle(s) of wine or soda and invite your girls to your dorm/apartment! Have everyone bring a snack to pair, like crackers, cheese, fruits, and dessert. If you’re feeling fancy, have you and your friends dress according to a theme (maybe everyone is in pink or red for a holiday) and decorate your space. Now sit back, relax, and enjoy a fun night with your girls!

Go out to Brunch

There are plenty of great restaurants in Providence, so take advantage of them for Galentine’s! Dress up with the girls and head out for a good, fun meal. Some great places for brunch close to Brown’s campus include Bellini, Ellie’s, and the Salted Slate.

Do a Gift Exchange

Gift exchanges are easy ways to show appreciation for your friends, and they don’t need to be restricted to Christmas. Write the names of all your friends and throw them into a bag. Then, draw one paper strip randomly to get the person you are giving a gift to. Reveal the gifts on Galentine’s Day. If you’re looking to save money, set a budget cap for gift spending for the exchange. There are plenty of good places on Thayer and Providence Place Mall to get small, cute gifts. CVS sells chocolates and other themed items, and Urban Outfitters always has cute little trinkets and items like skincare and perfume at the front for reasonable prices.

Have a Movie Night

Get into comfy clothes or pajamas, and invite your friends to your dorm or apartment for a movie night! Have them bring snacks like popcorn, candy, and some drinks. While a good romantic comedy is a fitting choice for the season, I like to choose movies during Galentine’s Day that focus more on friendship than anything else. My favorites for this holiday include Girls Trip, Bridesmaids, and Pitch Perfect.

Elle Horst

Brown '26

Elle Horst is a freshman at Brown University from Northern California. She plans on concentrating in International Public Affairs with a Policy and Governance focus. As an avid journalist in high school, Elle is thrilled to join Her Campus as a staff writer. In her free time, she enjoys drinking good coffee, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, and binging TV shows.