Style > Fashion

4 Reasons Why You Should Dress Up for Bed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Have you ever laid out your pajamas for sleep in the same way you would lay out the following morning’s outfit? The tailwinds behind dressing for yourself should extend beyond your daily outfit and include dressing nicely for yourself in the evening. 

Wearing specific clothing to bed helps your brain prepare for a better night sleep; it also represents a form of self care. You are choosing to wear pajamas for yourself, a nice night of sleep, and a morning glance in the mirror where you appear more pulled together for your day ahead.

There are so many ways to suit your pajamas to your personal tastes and the season. My two tips to always keep in mind is sizing up for maximum comfort and washing my pyjamas frequently, ensuring that the dryer is not shrinking or harming the fabric. Here are four reasons why I believe investing in a high-quality pajama set is absolutely worth it:

there are options for wherever you are

If your dorm or living environment does not have air conditioning, opt for breathable fabrics such as cotton button-up long sleeve sleep dresses. If you tend to need more warmth, look for cashmere or cashmere-equivalent sleep sets.

you and your bestie can match

Whether it’s your roommate, sister, sorority sister, best friend, or mom, matching pajamas are an essential element of any and all friendships! Nordstroms, Nordstrom Rack, and Petit Plume are all key locations to find your perfect pair of pajamas.

there’s ample room for for customization

This is the perfect gift to include on your holiday wishlist! It is both personal and practical, and you will never mistake which pajama set is yours. My favorite way to add a personalization is a script monogram on a pocket of either a button up shirt and pants matching set or a button up sleep dress.

it’s a great way to get into the holiday spirit

Last but not least, holiday pajamas are one the most festive ways to maintain the spirit all hours of the day. No matter which holiday you most enjoy celebrating, there is a pajama pattern for you. Patterns include but are not limited to embracing Christmas, Hanukkah, Halloween, and Thanksgiving cheer.

Maggie Seidel is the President of the Her Campus at Brown chapter. In this role, she oversees and recruits new members and writers, produces content for Pinterest and Instagram, manages the calendar, editorial process, and brand partnerships, leads weekly meetings and outreach, and contributes weekly articles. Maggie studies International & Public Affairs and Entrepreneurship, and she is a current sophomore. She is also a chair on the executive leadership team of Brown University's Women in Business, the Co-Editor-In-Chief of the Intercollegiate Finance Journal, a teaching assistant for an entrepreneurship class at Brown, and a member of Kappa Delta sorority. Her Campus is Maggie's place of happy. She also loves to play tennis, celebrate holidays of any and all kinds, curate new Pinterest boards, and enjoy a leisurely weekend brunch and cup of warm coffee.