This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

THE DAY OF ATONEMENT! Which Yom Kippur 2017 will begin on the evening of Friday, September 29th and will end on the evening of Saturday, September 30th. Here are some very fascinating factoids about this holiday:

Yom Kippur has a special power to cleanse our mistakes and wipe the slate clean.

Historically, on Yom Kippur, God forgave the Jewish people for the sin of the Golden Calf.

On Yom Kippur, the Books of Life and Death are sealed, determining who will be granted another year of life.

Before Yom Kippur, we seek forgiveness from anyone we may have harmed over the past year.

Teshuva: On Yom Kippur, we do a process called teshuva – literally “return.”

• 1, Regret: acknowledging that a mistake was made.

• 2, Cessation: stopping the harmful action shows a true commitment to charge.

• 3, the Confession: admit to our mistakes verbally.

• 4, Resolution: make a firm commitment not to repeat the harmful action.

Angel For A Day: On Yom Kippur, we’re “like spiritual angles” since we;

• Stand upright.

• Have the custom to wear white.

• Don’t eat or drink.

The Fast: The Yom Kippur Fast begins before sundown, and extends 25 hours until the following nightfall. In addition of during the afternoon hours leading up to Yom Kippur, it is a special mitzvah to eat a festive meal.

On Yom Kippur we refrain from:

• Eating and drinking.

• Washing.

• Applying oils or lotions to the skin.

• Marital relations.

• Wearing leather shoes.

Synagogue Services:

• Prayers begin at sundown with the haunting melody of Kol Nidrel.

• The Musaf service features a recounting of the Yom Kippur rite in the Holy Temple in Jerusalem.

• The Yizkor service, in memory of loved ones, is recited following the morning Torah reading.

• At the Mincha service, we read the biblical Book of Jonah.

• The final prayer is Ne’ilah (“closing the gates”), our final chance to be sealed in the Book of Life.

Al Chet: The Amidah prayer includes the Al – Chet confession of 44 minutes, including:

• Forgiving an ethical choice in favor of an easier option.

• Not showing sufficient compassion for the pain and suffering of others.

• Acting out of habit, without periodically examining our motives and goals.

• Acting privately in a way that is shameful if anyone found out.

Remember….by identifying the root of our mistakes, we can grow and become better!

I'm Miss. Congeniality of Broward College North Campus, Events Coordinator of the Psychology Club at Broward College North Campus, new president of Her Campus Broward, I work for Student Services at Broward College North Campus, and I just like to get involved in many great activities that benefit my personal growth.
Ana Cedeno is a journalism major and campus correspondent for Broward College. Originally from Guayaquil, Ecuador, she immigrated to the United States when she was twelve years old and continued her education in the sunny, politically contradictory, swamp state of Florida. She has since been published by both her college newspaper and the online grassroots journalism publication Rise Miami News. A fan of literature since age 6, she's an enthusiast of language and making her opinion known, while still hearing out the other side and keeping an open mind for growth.