Things to Know For Autism Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

Autism, also called ASD is a neurological condition which is estimated to affect 1-3 people in 1,000 worldwide. This may not seem like a lot until you think about how many people there are in the world.

Yeah, there’s a lot of us.

With April being Autism Awareness Month and the amount of people who are unaware of just what it means to be on the spectrum is while, decreasing, still large.

As someone who is on the spectrum, I’d figure it’s only fair I enlighten a few of you.

We’re not sick.

Autism is a neurological condition. It’s the way our brains are wired. Rather than think of it as a sickness, think of it as our factory settings. It’s just a different way to operate.

Thinking of it as a sickness is actually offensive.

When we say we like routine. We’re not looking for someone to change that.

One of the traits autistic people have is a need to adhere to routine. Things need to happen on schedule. I’ve had an innumerable amount of people try to show me the error of my ways on this. Try to get me to ‘losen up’ and embrace spontaneity.

This isn’t something we can really help, nor something we need to make better. When I don’t stick to routines, I don’t feel free, I feel anxious and bothered and like a meltdown’s about to happen.

Which reminds me.

Meltdowns are a thing.

Sometimes when certain buttons are pushed, people with autism will have meltdowns. They’re embarrassing and exhausting so if you see someone having one please don’t stare or make fun of them. Simply try and make that person comfortable and wait for them to calm down. People who have meltdowns aren’t really in control. They’re not trying to “throw a tantrum” or call for attention they are genuinely distressed.

Some Autistic people are nonverbal.

This is one of the traits that can happen when you’re on the spectrum. New apps and devices have been made to allow communication between nonverbal people and those around them. Something to remember is nonverbal =/= no communication.

We feel just like everyone else

This one should not need to be said, but you’d be surprised how many people assume otherwise. Some autistic people have a hard time showing emotions ( but this does not mean they don’t feel them), this coupled with autism’s hallmark trait of not being able to read social cues can sometimes give the appearance that we don’t care about things when in fact we’re capable of being just as caring and loving as anyone.

What is Tact?

Because we can’t always read social cues, sometimes people on the spectrum will say inopportune things. We can’t always take hints from expression or tones and don’t always know that what we say isn’t conformity to social protocol. This doesn’t mean we won’t learn. On the whole, try not to shame people or yell at them but rather explain why what they said or did made you feel the way it did. We can also be pretty oblivious to nuances and context.

The term ‘Low-functioning’ is the bane of our actual existence.

The term low functioning was coined by non-autistic people to define a part of the autistic population that has a harder time communicating or with certain traits. It creates a divide in the Neurotypical community and makes it appear as though some autistic people are less functioning, or less than, others. If someone is nonverbal, say nonverbal, if someone has a certain developmental problem, say that. Don’t use the word “low functioning”

Autism Speaks Doesn’t Actually Speak for Us.

The organization Autism Speaks is known pretty broadly for trying to “cure” autism. It’s run by allistic ( non-autistic people.) and focuses on how autism affects others, making autistic people look like a burden rather than actual human beings. Their therapy is also known for being abhorrent and borderline abusive as it focuses on making people “act normal” instead of helping them feel comfortable with who they are.

Sensory Overload is Real

Autism is also known for sensory issues. Sensory of course means ‘of the senses’. People with autism sometimes have trouble with some sounds, smells, tastes or textures ( touch) Some of us won’t eat certain foods, or are bothered by certain fabrics and materials. Sensory Overload happens when we become overwhelmed by these things. It’s uncomfortable and overwhelming and can also lead to meltdowns. If someone you know has autism and they seem uncomfortable with loud noises or their surrounding in generals, don’t force them to be there. Ask if they’re okay, if they want to leave, give them an out.

Stimming is also a thing, and it’s great.

Stimming is known a repetitive body movement that self-stimulates one or more senses in a regulated manner. Autistic people can do this a myriad of ways from spinning around, to flapping their hands, to clapping, or fidgeting with made-to-order stimming jewelry.

Everyone stims differently but we all need it. So if you see someone do it, be nice. Don’t laugh or stare. A lot of people with autism can already be self-conscious since to some people, stimming looks odd.

Despite what T.V. would have you think, we’re not all geniuses.

The trope of the genius with autistic traits is borderline, problematic and probably came to be from the fact that people with autism often have Special Interest( things that we become borderline obsessed with) and therefore know a lot about that interest. For some of us it could be science, or literature, or math. For others it can be truck’s, battery, or comic book characters.

Autism also can come paired off with learning disabilities such as A.D.H.D. and Dyslexia, which makes the belief and expectation that autistic people are ‘geniuses’ kind of dangerous.

You don’t outgrow autism.

While we learn as we grow like everyone else, an autistic child will grow up to be an autistic adult. Most of these traits are associated with children and therefore less acceptable for adults. This is something that has to end as people have to realize adults have as much right to be autistic as children do.

Not one of us is the same.

If you’ve met one person with autism, you’ve met one person with autism. Some of us are introverted, some love meeting new people. Some like sports, some like reading, some like both. Some are will show every trait listed above while others will only show a few, if any ( some of us have learned to camouflage them due to lack of awareness and acceptance) There’s no one way to be autistic, just like there’s no one way to be..anything.

The best way to get to know about us is to get to know us. Engage us, ask us what you want to know and respect the boundaries we set.

Awareness is slow but every April, we hopefully gain more of it.

Ana Cedeno is a journalism major and campus correspondent for Broward College. Originally from Guayaquil, Ecuador, she immigrated to the United States when she was twelve years old and continued her education in the sunny, politically contradictory, swamp state of Florida. She has since been published by both her college newspaper and the online grassroots journalism publication Rise Miami News. A fan of literature since age 6, she's an enthusiast of language and making her opinion known, while still hearing out the other side and keeping an open mind for growth.