Subplot Ideas: 5 Tips for Writing Better Subplots

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

The best subplot ideas add breadth and depth to a novel, developing the story in complex ways. Read tips and examples of subplots to make your story richer.

• Learn Subplot Types: E.g. ‘Expository’ subplots reveal a backstory about the characters or your world.
  • Drive the Main Plot: Make subplots relevant to the events and themes of your main story arc.
  • Increase Tension: Subplots often increase tension (e.g. a secondary character learns/knows too much about a main character’s past).
  • Reveal Character: Use subplots, such as how a main character helps a secondary character, to reveal significant details of personality.
  • Use For Backstory: A good subplot can show the reader events that were formative for the current story without heavy – handed telling.

For more help, go onto www.nownovel.com!

I'm Miss. Congeniality of Broward College North Campus, Events Coordinator of the Psychology Club at Broward College North Campus, new president of Her Campus Broward, I work for Student Services at Broward College North Campus, and I just like to get involved in many great activities that benefit my personal growth.