This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

Safety tips for spring break.

• Arrive safely – The National Safety Council says traffic death rates are three times greater at night than during the day. If you can’t avoid night driving, have at least one person stay awake to talk to driver. 
  • Don’t take chances at your hotel. Lock the doors, and secure important belongings like passports and wallets in the safe.  
  • Be smart about who you give personal information out to – don’t tell new acquaintances your hotel or room number. You never know who has guiltless or dangerous intentions.
  • Make sure you know the name and address of your hotel, so you can give to a cab driver. This is especially important if you don’t speak the local language.
  • The Buddy System – do not leave a party with a stranger, it’s always best to take a friend with you. If for whatever reason you do leave without your friends, give them details about where you’re going and when to expect you back.
  • Practice safe drinking – take turns so that one friend in the group per night will plan on minimal drinking to look out for everyone. 
  • Other good habits – watch your cup or glass. Only accept drinks that you’ve watched get made or poured in front of you.
  • If you need help, ask for it. If there is an emergency do not rely on a bystander to call for help. Call for help yourself to be sure first responders or police gets the message. 
  • Hydrate and wear sunscreen – Heat stroke and melanoma are not happy spring break thoughts, but too much time in the sun can leave you dehydrated with an increased risk of sunburns. Take your SPF and a bottle of water to the beach with you and make sure all your friends have water and sunscreen too.
  • If traveling outside of the country, be sure to look up the address or contact information for the American consulate or U.S. Embassy in the country where you’re headed. Tell friends and relatives in the U.S. of your travel itinerary and try to check in with them often. 
  • Also, take a copy of all credit cards and your passport with you in case they are stolen.  Call your credit card company in advance to let them know you’ll be out of the country so they won’t put a stop on your account. 
  • Carry a small, practical, and easy to use personal protection tool like pepper spray or a personal alarm. 
Daughter, sister, best friend, feminist, vegan, animal lover, adventure seeker and student, not in that order. 
Ana Cedeno is a journalism major and campus correspondent for Broward College. Originally from Guayaquil, Ecuador, she immigrated to the United States when she was twelve years old and continued her education in the sunny, politically contradictory, swamp state of Florida. She has since been published by both her college newspaper and the online grassroots journalism publication Rise Miami News. A fan of literature since age 6, she's an enthusiast of language and making her opinion known, while still hearing out the other side and keeping an open mind for growth.