Pros and Cons of Living On Campus vs. Off Campus

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

In reality, there is no right answer when it comes to the on-campus or off-campus debate. Each option has its own set of pros and cons. It’s a decision that comes down to individual preferences. 

Should you live on or off campus? Here is how to decide the way you live throughout your college years….

Living On Campus:

Pros!

• You are placed in the middle of campus life so you feel more like part of the college community.
  • Facilities will be easliy accessible – from the dining hall to the library to your classrooms. 
  • You’re more likely to not be late for your classes.
  • You can be on your school’s meal plan which means you won’t have to worry about buying groceries or cooking.
  • Your room and bathroom will be maintained.
  • Your room will also have Wi-Fi connection.
  • You will be closer to many undergraduates which will help you meet people at your college.

Cons!

• It’s great to have so many social opportunities right by your living space, but it can be a struggle to focus on work and find some quiet time.
  • Space and privacy in dorms are often limited, so there is a good chance that you’ll be sharing a small-sized dorm with several people.
  • Bathrooms are normally communal, which means you might find yourself waiting awhile for shower time.
  • You may feel like you are stuck in the “college bubble.”
  • There are more rules when it comes to living on campus, so you may not feel as independent as living off campus.

Living Off Campus:

Pros!

• Off-campus apartments will provide you with more space a privacy, so it is also likely that your apartment will be much quieter than a dorm which will make it a great place to study.
  • You have the comfort of knowing that you do not have to share everything with your peers all the time.
  • Allows you to escape the college bubble.
  • Will also give you the opportunity to get a taste of both independence and adulthood.
  • You’ll have the freedom to live the way you want, and your apartment won’t have rules dictated by your college.

Cons!

• You might find yourself feeling a little isolated from your classmates as you probably won’t have many friends living around the corner from you.
  • Most importantly, your class attendance may also be impacted negatively, as it will take more effort to make it to school on time, if at all.
  • It will be your duty to take care of amenities and pay bills.
  • Also, you will have to cook for yourself and clean your room as well as the apartment.
  • Although you may have no problem with these tasks, it’s important to remember that these chores will also get in the way of your schedule.

Weighing The Options:

There is no right answer when it comes to the on-campus or off-campus debate. Each option has its own set of pros and cons. It is a decision that comes down to one’s individual preferences. Keep in mind that even if you end up regretting your choice, remember that the housing situation is only temporary. 

I'm Miss. Congeniality of Broward College North Campus, Events Coordinator of the Psychology Club at Broward College North Campus, new president of Her Campus Broward, I work for Student Services at Broward College North Campus, and I just like to get involved in many great activities that benefit my personal growth.
Student at Broward College for the past five years, first enrolled on Davie's Central Campus learning Physical Therapy for two years than, transferring to Coconut Creeks North campus for the last three years, now majoring in Early Childhood / Developmental Education. Spent first year with Her campus Broward as Outreach Director, former president of self-entitled campus friendship club, Sammy's Buddy Brigade, member of the Campus Science Club, and a Broward County local student Ambassador with Best Buddies International. Winner of the Sammy's award for most charity work within the community, and now Vice President of Her Campus Broward. I hope to soon be working at Junior Achievement with the elementary and middle school children, in order to have a well rounded experience! The hope is to one day work with and teach children who have special needs such as myself! Biggest belief and philosophy of life is that, no matter what anyone says you can't accomplish in life, I am living proof that anything is possible! Having ADHD, high functioning Autism, and medical conditions such as Scoliosis, helps me to understand special needs children on a level that very few people can! It is this very knowledge that led me to choose Teaching as my chosen profession. Now at age 42, and more than 55% on the way to getting an Associate of Arts degree in Early Childhood Education, I hope to become an Assistant Teacher within the next year or so. We hope that this true life story will inspire others to never give up either, no matter what anybody says, or tells you, that you can't do, the only one who can truly hold you back is "YOU".