Pros and Cons of Living On Campus vs. Off Campus

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% our own.

In reality, there is no right answer when it comes to the on-campus or off-campus debate. Each option has its own set of pros and cons. It's a decision that comes down to individual preferences. 

Should you live on or off campus? Here is how to decide the way you live throughout your college years....

Living On Campus:

Pros!

• You are placed in the middle of campus life so you feel more like part of the college community.
  • Facilities will be easliy accessible - from the dining hall to the library to your classrooms. 
  • You're more likely to not be late for your classes.
  • You can be on your school's meal plan which means you won't have to worry about buying groceries or cooking.
  • Your room and bathroom will be maintained.
  • Your room will also have Wi-Fi connection.
  • You will be closer to many undergraduates which will help you meet people at your college.

Cons!

• It's great to have so many social opportunities right by your living space, but it can be a struggle to focus on work and find some quiet time.
  • Space and privacy in dorms are often limited, so there is a good chance that you'll be sharing a small-sized dorm with several people.
  • Bathrooms are normally communal, which means you might find yourself waiting awhile for shower time.
  • You may feel like you are stuck in the "college bubble."
  • There are more rules when it comes to living on campus, so you may not feel as independent as living off campus.

Living Off Campus:

Pros!

• Off-campus apartments will provide you with more space a privacy, so it is also likely that your apartment will be much quieter than a dorm which will make it a great place to study.
  • You have the comfort of knowing that you do not have to share everything with your peers all the time.
  • Allows you to escape the college bubble.
  • Will also give you the opportunity to get a taste of both independence and adulthood.
  • You'll have the freedom to live the way you want, and your apartment won't have rules dictated by your college.

Cons!

• You might find yourself feeling a little isolated from your classmates as you probably won't have many friends living around the corner from you.
  • Most importantly, your class attendance may also be impacted negatively, as it will take more effort to make it to school on time, if at all.
  • It will be your duty to take care of amenities and pay bills.
  • Also, you will have to cook for yourself and clean your room as well as the apartment.
  • Although you may have no problem with these tasks, it's important to remember that these chores will also get in the way of your schedule.

Weighing The Options:

There is no right answer when it comes to the on-campus or off-campus debate. Each option has its own set of pros and cons. It is a decision that comes down to one's individual preferences. Keep in mind that even if you end up regretting your choice, remember that the housing situation is only temporary.