Pirates of the Caribbean Ride ‘Politically Correct’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

Dead Men Tell No Tales, so don’t tell tall tales…..

This most definitely caught my attention as I was reading this shocking news during the summer and I was pondering how mad I got, even though I am a hard-core feminist just by erasing history. This is what was said:

Disney recently announced that they will be remodeling the “Pirates of the Caribbean ride.’’ In doing this, they will be removing the “wench auction” scene of the ride and replacing it with a more politically correct set. The original wench auction stage depicted women standing in a line with ropes tied around their wrists, waiting to get “auctioned” off and sold as a bride. A sign above reads “take a wench for a bride” as an auctioneer sells them off. The new design plan is to have a woman hosting an auction for the townspeople to sell their goods.

While I understand the concern of the “wench auction” on display at a family attraction, I disagree with the move to rid of it. At six years old, I rode “Pirates of the Caribbean” with my family, and upon exiting the attraction, I asked my mother what was happening to the women in the auction. As I can recall, she explained to me a part of history that, while disturbing, was very real in the grand scheme of things. Women were sold as brides and yes it is depressing, awful and terrifying, but it did happen. Women were subordinate to men and seen as property.

This is a fact of history; to say that instead, they held roles such as auctioneers is a fallacy.

Debates over the removal of particular books from school curriculums is a hot topic right now. This is due to the fact that most of the material being removed from the schools contains important information about history. Kids are now more than ever being guarded against the harsh reality of history – a lot of it was unjust and immoral. Millions of people in history were mistreated and lived miserable lives due to historical events. The selling of brides is one of them, so, therefore, we cannot erase history and thus should not try to hide facts of history from future generations simply because it can be constructed as politically incorrect.

This takes me to my next point: The ride’s scene of a bridal auction is politically incorrect because it was politically incorrect. It’s not right to sell women off as property, just as it’s corrupt to shoot other people – which is basically the main focus of the ride, right? The ride tells the tale of pirates, and during those times, people shot one another, drank themselves silly, and sold brides. If we’re going to get rid of this piece of the ride, perhaps we should eradicate the whole ride in general, as it isn’t politically correct to do really anything portrayed in the ride.

Trafficking women, or selling women for sex or marriage, is still a huge problem today. In fact, 14 million girls under the age of 18 will be married this year, according to the UNFPA. The details of this phenomenon and the skyrocketing number of individuals it affects is seldom explained in textbooks. Though movies like “Taken” and books such as “Half the Sky” have been developing some attention to the problem, it is otherwise largely muffled. In order to put an end to these horrific events, conversations need to be had about the issue of women trafficking. If it takes a Disney ride to bring it up, then, by all means, it should not be removed….period!

It happened, it’s happening, and it needs to be ended, not hushed.

What is next? Removing the guns from the pirates and having them throw confetti at each other because the basic history behind pirates is too politically incorrect for audiences? If you are unwilling to explain to your children the truth behind the auction scene, maybe you should second – guess why you are bringing your child to a ride depicting violence. Guarding your children, or yourself, from the reality of what was and what still is does not do anything but create a naïve generation.

There you have it ladies and gentlemen, that even though I myself are a hard – core feminist about how women should be treated that I’m upset about the change of the portion of the ride that explains the history and that was history. Women have come so far from history to showing the start to the finish is just mesmerizing!

I'm Miss. Congeniality of Broward College North Campus, Events Coordinator of the Psychology Club at Broward College North Campus, new president of Her Campus Broward, I work for Student Services at Broward College North Campus, and I just like to get involved in many great activities that benefit my personal growth.
Ana Cedeno is a journalism major and campus correspondent for Broward College. Originally from Guayaquil, Ecuador, she immigrated to the United States when she was twelve years old and continued her education in the sunny, politically contradictory, swamp state of Florida. She has since been published by both her college newspaper and the online grassroots journalism publication Rise Miami News. A fan of literature since age 6, she's an enthusiast of language and making her opinion known, while still hearing out the other side and keeping an open mind for growth.