New Years Traditions Around The World

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% our own.

Should old acquaintance be forgot, and never brought to mind?! Should old acquaintance be forgot, and days of auld land syne! Just like how Christmas is different in every country, New Year's is different in every country as well. As well all know that in the United States of America, we watch the ball drop either from the good ol' New York City, Times Square or in the comfort of our own homes. This is the culture of New Year's of North America, now let us learn how other countries celebrate the New Year!

Colombia

Having some hard cash either in your hand or in your pocket when the clock strikes 12 is believed to bring financial security and stability. 

Spain

A grape is eaten for every chime during the last 12 seconds of the year. Consume all 12 and gain good luck for the entire year.

Jamaica

Many locals attend a watch - night service. This is a favourite of those who prefer to start the new year on a religious note.

Japan

At Usokae Shinji, people line up to exchange last year's bullfinch figurines for new ones. It is symbolic of ridding oneself of lies from the past and exchanging them for truths.

Mexico

Writing down everything bad that's going on in your life, or that's happened over the past year, and then burning it ensures bad vibes stay away.

United Kingdom

Church bells are traditionally associated with public events, so it is customary for bells to chime at midnight on New Year's Eve.

Turkey

Wearing red underwear is considered to bring good luck on New Year's Eve. There are often stalls selling red lingerie at the end of the year.

Denmark

At the stroke of midnight, plates are smashed. This act is believed to bring good luck.

Ecuador

Effigies of public figures such as politicians and pop stars are burnt. This is a symbolic cleansing of bad vibes from the previous 12 months.