samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

National African American History Month

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

Established in 1926 as Negro History Week, President Gerald R. Ford expanded the celebration in 1976 to include the entire month of February. This year, Navy commands are encouraged to celebrate and reflect on the theme, “A Century of Black Life, History, and Culture.”

African American Sailors fought on every kind of Union, accounting for 10 to 20% of each ship’s crew and included 8 medal of honor recipients.

The Golden Thirteen/Civil War 1861 – 1865:

March 1944….

• 12 prior-enlisted black servicemen were commissioned as ensigns and a….
  • 13th was made a warrant officer.
  • 1st group of black servicemen to complete officer trainingin the Navy and led the way for future African-Americans.
  • By the end of the war, 64 African-Americans had become officers in the Navy.

World War Two 1939 – 1945

Doris Miller was the first African-American to receive the Navy Cross for his act of bravery during Pearl Harbor (December 7,1941). 

Edna Young was the first black women to both enlist in the regular Navy, and to achieve the rank of petty officer. (She is the woman right in center).

Wesley A. Brown was the first black graduate of the United States Naval Academy in the Class of 1949.

1942 – 1948

Admiral J. Paul Reason was the first black naval officer to wear 4 stars and assumed command of the Atlantic Fleet as well as….

• 200 warships
  • 1,500 aircraft 
  • 122,000 men and women based at 18 major shore facilities.

1949

Carl Brashear was the first African-American to become a U.S. Navy Master Diver.

December 1996

Vice Admiral Samuel Gravely Jr. was the first African-American to command a….

• Navy Ship USS Theodore E. Chandler (DD 717).
  • Navy Warship USS Falgout (DE 324).
  • Navy Warship Under Combat Conditions USS Taussig (DD 746).
  • Navy Major Command Warship USS Jouett (CG29).
  • Numbered Navy Fleet (Third Fleet).

1970

Admiral Michelle Howard was the first African-American woman….

• To command a U.S. Navy ship.
  • To be promoted to two-star and three-star admiral.
  • To serve as Vice Chief of Naval Operations.
  • To be a four-star admiral.

1982 – Present

African Americans continue to serve with distinction now comprising more than 17% of our active duty Navy total force end-strength. 

I'm Miss. Congeniality of Broward College North Campus, Events Coordinator of the Psychology Club at Broward College North Campus, new president of Her Campus Broward, I work for Student Services at Broward College North Campus, and I just like to get involved in many great activities that benefit my personal growth.