Most Important Women of Black History

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

It has been an uphill climb for women, especially black women but these women helped us teach us so many important life lessons. The beaten they have gone through has often taken blazing of their own trails having their self – esteem and self – images, quite battered and bruised. Which is why we have celebrated, those famous black female figures that we do so fiercely. 

Maya Angelou, may she rest in peace. She was twice nominated for a Tony award for acting. She is an author, poet, historian, songwriter, playwright, dancer, stage and screen producer, director, performer, singer, and civil rights activist. She was appointment by President Jimmy Carter to the Commission for International Women of the Year. In 1993, she wrote and delivered a poem “On the Pulse of the Morning”, at the inauguration for President Bill Clinton at his request. The first black women director in Hollywood.

Halle Berry. Her first time acting was on a show called “Chicago Force”. Named after Halide’s Department Store. She was a cheerleader, honor society member. Miss USA (first runner – up 1986). Won an Emmy, Oscar, and Golden Globe awards.

Bessie Coleman. First female African – American pilot. “Black Women to fly over American Soil”. Re-named Airport Drive to Bessie Coleman Drive. She was inducted into the Texas Aviation Hall of Fame. She made headlines in 1921 when she became the first African – American women to earn an international pilot’s license.

Ella Fitzgerald. She performed at the top venues all over the world. Was dubbed “The First Lady of Song”. She won 13 Grammy awards. Sold over 40 million albums. September 1986, she underwent quintuple coronary bypass surgery. 

Sarah Goode. Was freed from slavery at the end of the civil – war. Lived in Chicago. Was the first African – American women to receive a U.S. patent. Owned a furniture store and invented the cabinet bed. 

IMAN. Her first book, entitled I AM IMAN. She began her career in the 1975. Her first modeling was for Vogue in 1976. During her 14 years as a model, she worked for the top photographers, Helmut Newton. Even married to a musical icon who he may rest in peace as well, David Bowie.

Mae C. Jemison. Dr. Jemison was the Area Peace Corps Medical Officer for Sierra Leone and Liberia in West Africa. She developed and participated in research projects on Hepatitis B vaccine, schistosomiasis, and rabies in conjunction with the National Institute of Health and the Center for Disease Control. She was selected for the astronaut program in June 1987. She was the science mission specialist on STS – 47 Spacelab – J (September. 12th – 20th, 1992). She left NASA in March 1993 was such an incredible astronaut.  

Coretta Scott King. She did well in her schoolwork too and was at the top of her class when she graduated in 1945. She met Martin Luther King Jr., who was also a student in Boston at the time, and they were married in 1953. Her first child, named Yolanda (Yoki). She worked three full blocks, houses, a library, and an archives of the civil rights movement. In December 1999, a Tennessee jury found that the 1968 assassination was the result of a conspiracy.

Natalie Cole. Ask a Women Who Knows is her first new album. Grammy (award – winning 1991 Unforgettable). With love album (a tribute to her father). Ask a Women Who Knows is a showcase of Cole’s enduring artistry. Cole was exposed to the musical artists, like Ella Fitzgerald who was mention before. “When I Fought A Love” a duet with her father. 

Rosa Parks. When she refused to give up her seat to a white man forty years ago on December. 1st, 1995, she was and weary from a long day of work. In fact, under other circumstances, she would have probably given up her seat willingly to a child or an elderly person. In August 1994, she was attacked in her home by a young man who wanted money from her. Park’s belief in God and her religious convictions are the core of everything she does. She at most changed a nation.

Queen Latifah. She’s a television and film actress. She has blossomed into a one women entertainment conglomerate. The first peek at one of her different qualities is “Bananas”. Her refusal to play by some pre – conceived rules has helped make her one of Hollywood’s fastest rising young stars. So “Bananas” is for them first of her first song.               

Condoleezza Rice. She became secretary of state on January. 26th, 2005. She was the Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs. She has been on the Stanford faculty since 1981 and has been the highest teaching honors. She was a member of the boards of directors for the Chevron Corporation. She started Integrated Training in the military. 

Harriet Tubman. She let over 300 slaves to freedom. Around 1844, she married a free black named John Tubman and took his last name. At age five or six, she began to work as a house servant. During the Civil War, Harriet Tubman worked for the Union as a cook, a nurse, and even a spy. Harriet Tubman is perhaps the most well – known of all the Underground Railroad’s Conductors. 

Venus Williams. She capped a tremendous year in 2000 by winning the Olympic Gold Medal in singles and doubles. In 2002, she received the Certificate of Achievement from Howard University during the commencement ceremony. This is the 2nd highest award bestowed by the university next to an Honorary Degree. By winning the 1993 French Open Doubles title with her sister Serena Williams, the duo became 1st sisters to win a Grand Slam crown together in the 20th century. In July 2005, she defeated in the Wimbledon finals at what is being hailed as one of the greatest Wimbledon matches of all time. The match was also the longest women’s match in the championships. Venus’s highest WTA ranking in a number one tennis player.

Yelena Kanga. She is Black, American, Jewish, and African. Her grandparents Oliver Golden, a black American agronomist trained by George Washington, the first president of the United States of America. She is a World War Trainer One Veteran. Independent – minded young woman who possessed a soulful gentleness. She realized that her coming to America was more than a career opportunity.

Oprah Winfrey. Her broadcasting career began at age 17; when she was hired by WVOL radio in Nashville. She was named one of the 100 Most Influential People of the 20th Century by Time Magazine. A cable channel and interactive network presenting programming designed primarily for women. She was the first African – American woman to become a billionaire. She currently is still a talk show host as of this day.

Last but not least….Michelle Obama. First lady Michelle Obama was presented with an honorary doctorate of humane letters by James Milliken, the chancellor of the City University of New York. At City College in New York City on June. 3rd, 2016. Heck, she is REALLY admired as well as her love and “former president” Barack Obama. She can rock cheetah print (fake print not real print because of the poor animals). She goes to the distance of infinity and beyond to animate stories. She bring such wonderful tears to Anna Wintour’s dazzling eyes. She dances phenomenally with the great Stevie Wonder. She helps emerging designers like Jason Wu become a household name. She will go out of her way to make something that is difficult into something simple. She will even teach you a thing or two, kindly from her own heart for your knowledge. She is extremely tight with Oprah Winfrey, as explained before. Everyone wants to hug her, literally we mean everyone. She even making Elmo and Rosita (Sesame Street characters) look presidential, my gosh! She is all smiles when she meets the queen, England of course. She can most definitely double jump rope, must be fun.  She captivates the duchess of Cambridge, to the core. She’s got a green thumb and knows the importance of organic food. She charms everyone’s favorite prince, England of course. She get the kids moving to get up and seize the day. She makes a role for her mom at the White House, because family is such importance. Her laugh is infectious, very well actually. She looks amazingly natural on stage with Beyoncé. She’s got her own laid – back style and is a mentor to all. She looks stylish, even when she’s walking Bo who is her adorably cute dog. Her hula – hooping skills are madly impressive. Her thumbs – up is empowering towards the point that we just can’t stand it. She is simply stunning, inside and out all around.                       Acknowledgments to thank all for the poets and the White House websites. To Maya Angelou, Condoleezza Rice, and all the other Black History websites to put together all of my facts for this great article on the Most Important Women of Black History. So to you all, keep it up doing you in which you do excellent at.            

I'm Miss. Congeniality of Broward College North Campus, Events Coordinator of the Psychology Club at Broward College North Campus, new president of Her Campus Broward, I work for Student Services at Broward College North Campus, and I just like to get involved in many great activities that benefit my personal growth.
Ana Cedeno is a journalism major and campus correspondent for Broward College. Originally from Guayaquil, Ecuador, she immigrated to the United States when she was twelve years old and continued her education in the sunny, politically contradictory, swamp state of Florida. She has since been published by both her college newspaper and the online grassroots journalism publication Rise Miami News. A fan of literature since age 6, she's an enthusiast of language and making her opinion known, while still hearing out the other side and keeping an open mind for growth.