This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

Did you know that, 155.7 million number of people in the United States Labor Force.

Labor Day: A History

• 1872 – Labor Day begings in Toronto. Canada as a demonstration demanding rights for workers
  • 1822 – On September 5th, the Central Labor Union organizes a march by 10,000 workers in New York City. The event includes a concert, a picnic, and speeches.
  • 1887 – Oregon becomes the first state to make Labor Day a legal holiday, other states soon to follow.
  • 1894 – President Grover Cleveland declares Labor Day a national holiday.
  • 1913 – On March 4th, President William Howard Taft, on his last day in office, signs legislation creating the U.S. Department of Labor.

Time Off: Then & Now

• Then – Total number of days off, which is 26. At the time of the first Labor Day parade in 1882, U.S. workers only recieved time off for Christmas, the 4th of July, and every other Sunday.

130 years later….

• Now – Total number of days off, which is 124. The average American worker receives 20 days off (combining holiday and vacation time) in addition to weekends.

Making The Commute

• 25.7 minutes, length of average commute to work in the United States.
  • 9.7% of workers carpool with others.
  • 0.6% of workers ride a bike to work.

*This article is brought to you by the United States Department of Labor, and the United States Census Bureau*

I'm Miss. Congeniality of Broward College North Campus, Events Coordinator of the Psychology Club at Broward College North Campus, new president of Her Campus Broward, I work for Student Services at Broward College North Campus, and I just like to get involved in many great activities that benefit my personal growth.