This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

Following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s warning a couple weeks ago that as many as 25% of people infected with the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) may be asymptomatic, meaning they never show symptoms, the federal health agency is now advising this. That not only all Americans, but everybody around the world to wear cloth face coverings when out to help slow the spread of the virus. 

Making your own mask at home is an easy and low-cost way to help slow the spread of COVID-19. 

The materials are as needed:

• Two 10-in. x 6-in. rectangles of cotton fabric
  • Two 6-in. pieces of elastic (or rubber bands, string, cloth strips or hair ties)
  • Needle and threat (or bobby pin)
  • Scissors
  • Sewing machine

Here are the instructions:

1. Cut out two 10-by-6-inch rectangles of cotton fabric. Use tighty woven cotton, such as quilting fabric or cotton sheets. T-shirt fabric will work in a pinch. Stack the two rectanlges; you will sew the mask as if it was a single piece of fabric.
  2. Fold over the long side 1/4 inch and the double layer of fabric over 1/2 inch side and make sure to stitch down.
  3. Run a 6-inch length of 18-inch wide elastic through the wider hem on each side of the mask. These will be the ear loops. Use a large needle or a bobby pin to thread it through. Tie the ends tight. Don’t have elastic? Use hair ties or elastic head bands. If you only have string, you can make the ties longer and tie the mask behind your head.
  4. Gently pull on the elastic so that it can be inside the hem. Gather the sides of the elastic, and adjust so the mask fits you properly. Then, securely stitch the elastic in place to keep it from slipping.

Now enjoy, and sat safe!

I'm Miss. Congeniality of Broward College North Campus, Events Coordinator of the Psychology Club at Broward College North Campus, new president of Her Campus Broward, I work for Student Services at Broward College North Campus, and I just like to get involved in many great activities that benefit my personal growth.