This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

Not many people know about the holiday Purim, so here it is!

The Story

• King Achashverosh executes his wife and installs a Jewish girl. Esther, as his new queen. Mordechai, her uncle, stops an assassination attempt on the king.
  • Hamen the new Prime Minister gets a decree passed calling for the extermination of the Jews around the world.
  • The Queen invites the King and the Prime Minister to a feast.
  • The King realises Mordechai has not been repaid for saving his life and orders Hamen to lead him around the town on a royal parade. 
  • At the feast the Queen reveals she is Jewish and Hamen is plotting to kill all her people.
  • Hamen is hung and on the planned day of the extermination, the Jewish people are able to take up arms and defend themselves. 

The Mitzvot

• The Megillah – We listen to the Megillah, retelling the story of Purim, twice, once in the evening and once in the morning.
  • Misloach Manot – To increase love and friendship amongst the Jewish people, we send gifts of food to our friends. At least two items of food to one friend. 
  • Matanot La’evyonim (Gifts to the Needy) – Sufficient money should be given to two different needy recipients to enable them to purchase food for a meal. It is better to spend more money on this mitzvah than any of the others. 
  • Seudah (meal) – Invite your nearest and dearest and enjoy your finest foods and drink. Commence the meal whilst it is still day and keep the party well into the night!

The Customs

• Fancy Dress – Let your imagination fly and dress up in style. Dressing up alludes to the fact that a lot of the Purim story developed behind the scenes. Purim was a miracle shrouded by “natural” developments, less overt than the Passover or Chanukkah miracles.
  • Boo! – Sanctioned noise making in Synagogue. During the Megillah reading we take it upon ourselves to make a noise when we hear Hamen’s name being read out thus blotting out his name.
  • Hamantaschen – Some say they resemble Hamen’s pockets, ears or hat, either way don’t miss out on this Purim themed treat. 

The Numbers

• 14th, Day in Adar of Purim.
  • 127, Provinces ruled by Achashverosh.
  • 180, Days of the Party hosted by King Achashverosh.
  • 10, Chapters of the Megillah.

I'm Miss. Congeniality of Broward College North Campus, Events Coordinator of the Psychology Club at Broward College North Campus, new president of Her Campus Broward, I work for Student Services at Broward College North Campus, and I just like to get involved in many great activities that benefit my personal growth.