ferdinand stohr NFs6dRTBgaM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ferdinand stohr NFs6dRTBgaM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Easter by the Numbers

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

Easter occurs on the first sunday following the full moon after the vernal equinox and celebrates the resurrection of Jesus Christ. So therefore, as a result of this formula, the date fluctuates, and Easter is observed anywhere between March 22nd and April 25th.

• The first recorded observance of Easter was during the second century, but the timing of the holy day was set by the Council of Nicaea in A.D. 325.
  • Roughly 80% of Americans celebrate Easter, but not all of them view it as a primarily religious holiday.
  • Between 60% – 65% of Americans attend church services on Easter.
  • Americans send up to 43 million Easter cards each year.
  • Americans decorate and dye up to 180 million eggs each year.
  • Christians painting, dyeing and decorating eggs for Easter was first recorded in the 13th century.
  • The largest Easter Egg Hunt consisted of 9,753 children searching for 501,000 eggs in Winter Haven,Florida.
  • For centuries, the church forbade Christians from eating eggs during Lent, and it became a treat to resume eating them on Easter.
  • It takes 24-26 hours for a hen to lay one egg.
  • In 1885, Czar Alexander the Third commissioned Peter Carol Faberge to create an Easter gift for the czarina. The enameled egg with a jeweled treasure inside became the first of 50 Imperial Easter eggs created for the Russian royal family.
  • The largest decorated Easter was 48 feet, 6 inches long and 27 feet, 6 inches around.
  • The tallest chocolate Easter egg measured 34 feet, 1 inch had a maximum circumference of 64 feet, 3 inches and weighed 15,873 pounds.
  • Each year, the First Family hosts the White House Easter Egg Roll.
  • As a matter of fact, the tradition dates back to President Hayes in 1878 and today, more than 30,000 people attend.
  • Today, Easter is the second most popular candy-buying holiday, after Halloween.
  • In reality, 88% of American parents prepare Easter blankets for thier kids.
  • More than 50% of kids grab chocolate bunnies first when reaching Easter candy.

How do you eat your chocolate bunny?

• 76% ears first
  • 15% other
  • 4% tail first
  • 5% feet first

• 90 million chocolate Easter bunnies are produced each year.
  • Enough Peeps are produced annually to circle the earth twice.
  • It takes 6 minutes to make 1 peep.
  • Americans eat more than 700 million Peeps each Easter.
  • Jelly Beans weren’t a common Easter treat until the 1930’s.
  • Americans consume 16 billion jelly beans at Easter, 5 billion of which are Jelly Belly brand.
  • The first chocolate eggs were made in Europe in the early 19th century and remain among the most popular treats associated with Easter.
  • Cadbury Creme Eggs were introduced in 1971, and more than 500 million are made each year!

Now we have gone through the numbers, have a Happy Easter Everyone! :-) 

I'm Miss. Congeniality of Broward College North Campus, Events Coordinator of the Psychology Club at Broward College North Campus, new president of Her Campus Broward, I work for Student Services at Broward College North Campus, and I just like to get involved in many great activities that benefit my personal growth.