Did You Know? Thanksgiving Edition….

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

Here are a number of interesting facts about Thanksgiving that you should know….

• Did you know, that as many as 107 million American homes will celebrate Thanksgiving this year?
  • Did you know, that Thanksgiving is not a religious holiday but a Fall celebration holiday that sets aside special time for family and the blessings of freedom in a new land for all?
  • Did you know, that the Pilgrims ate their first Thanksgiving dinner with only spoons, knives, and their fingers.
  • Did you know, that the Mayflower was not built to transport people? Originally, it was built to be a wine transport ship.
  • Did you know, that there are at least three American towns named after Thanksgiving dinner’s main course? There’s Turkey, Texas with 496 residents; Turkey Creek, Louisiana, with 357 residents, and Turkey, North Carolina, with 267 residents. 
  • Did you know, that the most popular Thanksgiving dinner includes a menu of turkey, cranberries, sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie?
  • Did you know, that the first Thanksgiving took place in December 1621, when the Pilgrims held a three-day feast in Plymouth Rock, Massachusets to celebrate their bountiful event?
  • Did you know, that the average person consumes close to 4,500 calories on Thanksgiving Day? To put that into perspective, that’s over twice the recommended daily calories consumed. 
  • Did you know, that Americans raise 649 million pounds of cranberries, 1.6 billion pounds of sweet potatoes, and 998 million pounds of pumpkin pies. 
  • Did you know, that Thanksgiving didn’t become an official national holiday until more than 200 years later, when in 1863, President Lincoln proclaimed the last Thursday in November to be the famous holiday that we all celebrate annually. 

I'm Miss. Congeniality of Broward College North Campus, Events Coordinator of the Psychology Club at Broward College North Campus, new president of Her Campus Broward, I work for Student Services at Broward College North Campus, and I just like to get involved in many great activities that benefit my personal growth.