This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

Yes, the famous holiday, President’s Day, was on this day last week. Although it is never to late to learn and know about what the holiday itself is all about. Here is the historical significance of President’s Day:

President’s Day honors two of Americas greatest Presidents; George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. It is celebrated every year on the third Monday of February. The holiday was first celebrated in 1880 when the government made George Washington’s birthday (February 22nd) an official holiday in Washington D.C. It became a national holiday in 1885. In 1971, Congress officially moved the holiday to the third Monday on the month. In the 1970’s, the holiday became a celebration of both Washington and Lincoln.

During the American Revolution, George Washington led the Continental Army to defeat the British and gain independence. After the war, he was selected the President of the Constitutional Convention, which was where the Constitution was created. After the new Constitution was adopted by all of the states of the time. George Washington was unanimously elected the first President of the United States. Many call him the ‘Father of our Nation’.

Washington served as President from April. 30th, 1789 to March. 4th, 1797. He is the only President in history to be elected unanimously. Washington established that the United States Presidents should only serve at least two terms. 

I'm Miss. Congeniality of Broward College North Campus, Events Coordinator of the Psychology Club at Broward College North Campus, new president of Her Campus Broward, I work for Student Services at Broward College North Campus, and I just like to get involved in many great activities that benefit my personal growth.