The Amazing Arctic Tern

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

Did you know that tern migration follows an indirect path? Well, whenever I see birds in the sky it just makes me want to fly in the air with them! So, I did some research and this specific kind called Tern, caught my eye and just was amazing because I never heard about them before! Let me explain to you about my research:

It was long ago believed that artic terns flew about 22,000 miles (35,200 km) on their journey from the Arctic region to Antarctica and back. Recent studies, however, revealed that the birds actually fly much farther. Tiny instruments called geo – locators were attached to a number of birds. About the weight of a paper clip, these amazing devices revealed that some terns flew an average of 56,000 miles (90,000 km) on the round – trip – the longest animal migration known. One bird flew nearly 60,000 miles (96,000 km)!

No matter where they began their migration, the arctic terns flew an indirect route. As shown on a map, a common Atlantic Ocean route took an S shape. The reason? The birds simply take advantage of prevailing wind systems. During their lifetime of about 30 years, terns may travel well over 1.5 million miles (2.4 million km). That is equal to three or four round – trips to the moon! “This is a mind – boggling achievement for a bird of just over 100 grams [3.5 ounces],” said a researcher. What is more, because arctic terns experience the summers at both poles, they see “more daylight each year than any other creature,” states the book Life on Earth: A Natural History.

I'm Miss. Congeniality of Broward College North Campus, Events Coordinator of the Psychology Club at Broward College North Campus, new president of Her Campus Broward, I work for Student Services at Broward College North Campus, and I just like to get involved in many great activities that benefit my personal growth.
Ana Cedeno is a journalism major and campus correspondent for Broward College. Originally from Guayaquil, Ecuador, she immigrated to the United States when she was twelve years old and continued her education in the sunny, politically contradictory, swamp state of Florida. She has since been published by both her college newspaper and the online grassroots journalism publication Rise Miami News. A fan of literature since age 6, she's an enthusiast of language and making her opinion known, while still hearing out the other side and keeping an open mind for growth.