This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

Last Tuesday, our chapter/club did a viewing of Captain Marvel in our campus’s coffeehouse. It went well, and as a hard core Marvel fan, I felt that our fellow students as well as our faculty/staff got to appreciate both concepts of female empowerment and female empowerment inside of the Marvel culture. After seing Captain Marvel, how could you not love her? She is amazing! 

So now, one of the most highly anticipated movies of the year and one of the most highly anticipated Marvel movies is Captain Marvel. And, why? Captain Marvel stars Brie Larson (Academy Award Winner for Room) in an all-new adventure from a previously unseen period in the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. And if you hadn’t heard it is the first Marvel movie to star a female super heroine!

This movie is set in the 1990s and follows the journey of Carol Danvers a.k.a. Captain Marvel as she becomes one of the universe’s most powerful heros. The move starts with a galactic war between two alien races which eventually reaches Earth, and Danvers finds herself and a small cadre of allies at the center of the maelstrom.

6 Reasons to Love Captain Marvel:

1. We learn how Nick Fury loses his eye, plus he has hair in the 90’s.
  2. The 1990s references, from the Blockbuster Video store to the pager ( a.k.a. communicator) to the downloading of data to the music, it’s a fun ride down during memory lane. And for teens, it’s great for them to see how we lived soo long ago. 
  3. Speaking of Nick Fury, we follow along as he and Carol Danvers a.k.a. Captain Marvel meet, learn to work together and become friends.
  4. Brie Larson as Captain Marvel. I think we all agree that the Oscar winner can act, but can she carry a Marvel movie? Yes she can!
  5. The diversity of women in this movie from Annette Bening, to Gemma Chan, to Lashana Lynch. And speaking of Lashana Lynch who plays Maria Rambeau, Carol Danvers’s best friend and fellow test pilot. She is just not the black best friend, she actually plays a major role in one of the crucial scenes in the movies and for once is not the “sassy and funny friend.” They have a true friendship borne of a love of flying and determination to be the best.
  6. Goose the cat. That is all I will say, for now!

The Women of Captain Marvel:

Annette Bening

Gemma Chan

Lashana Lynch

Brie Larson

Goose the Cat

I'm Miss. Congeniality of Broward College North Campus, Events Coordinator of the Psychology Club at Broward College North Campus, new president of Her Campus Broward, I work for Student Services at Broward College North Campus, and I just like to get involved in many great activities that benefit my personal growth.