books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash
Culture > News

World Book Day – April 23rd

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brock U chapter.

It’s World Book Day, so what better time to read books than today? Although I’m not a bookworm like most of you, I’ve recently picked up a habit of reading at least 5 – 10 pages a day. It has really helped me gain more interest in reading and diving into fictional stories.

Let me tell you all about the importance of this day and how it is celebrated around the world! World Book Day was created by UNESCO on 23rd April 1995 to celebrate books and authors and encourage young people to discover the pleasure of reading.

Each year, UNESCO and the international organizations representing the three major sectors of the book industry – publishers, booksellers and libraries, select the world book capital for a one-year period, effective 23 April each year. Almost all the regions of the world, in turn, have already been involved in this process, which thus transforms the celebration of books and copyright into a recurrent activity, extending still further the geographical and cultural influence of books.

This year, Tbilisi, the capital city of Georgia, has been chosen to be the World Book Capital in 2021. The theme for this year is ”To share a story”

If you find yourself with some spare time on your hands today, consider relaxing with a mug of tea/coffee, a warm cozy spot, and a good book.

Happy Reading!

My name is Sharavi Sinha and I am the co-founder and editor in chief for HC Brock U